Guess the score

T Bone

I'm not great at judging muleys on the hoof.

Found a solid buck this morning that came into a predator call.

Please throw out a score.

There is no right or wrong answer.

Those backs are really tall, pretty deep forks, I think this one would surprise you and tape out around 177" gross.

There is a very similar frame in my folks house that came out 191" gross; it's just slightly larger in every respect. Cool buck, thanks for posting the pictures and way to go getting a few angles.

Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts...

Rough for each side

18" total mass
24" main beams
18" G2
12" G3
12" G4
2" Eye gurards

Approx 84" per side

I would guess his inside spread at about 20-22" That totals out at 186-188" less deductions, After drying probably something like 178-182 Net"

Sounds like I'm a bit optimistic.

I was thinking high 180's with the blades and deep forks.

Curious, do you guys that have experience look at each piece, width, main beam, fronts, backs, mass, add the pieces up or do you look at the whole package at your head throws out a number?

It would make the "Randy Record Book." That's usually enough for me to get excited.

Good idea, Kotur. Here's how I got there:

G1- 1.5
G2 - 18
G3 - 12
G4 - 10
H1-4 - 16
MB - 22
Spread - 20
Total - 179
Extra - 3.5
Total gross - 182.5

My thoughts...

Rough for each side

18" total mass
24" main beams
18" G2
12" G3
12" G4
2" Eye gurards

Approx 84" per side

I would guess his inside spread at about 20-22" That totals out at 186-188" less deductions, After drying probably something like 178-182 Net"

I think you are long on the main beams. That is probably his weakest area I think. Just not a lot of curve to them and if you look at the direct profile shot they just don't go out very far. I've got him closer to 20" - 21" on the main beams. His G3's are a little shorter too, maybe around 10".

What would be really neat is if Tbone was able to pick up the sheds on him this spring and actually score them.

Curious, do you guys that have experience look at each piece, width, main beam, fronts, backs, mass, add the pieces up or do you look at the whole package at your head throws out a number?

Not sure I count as someone with experience, but I will be sleeping in a Holiday Inn Express this week...

I might do it backwards from the way other people do, but I look at the overall rack and get a feel for it pretty quickly. Then I look for weaknesses. That's going to be what affects the score the most. Like the big NT Montana bull, I joked about it in the thread, but that bull's right G2 hurt his score by 10" easy.

This buck's weakest areas are his main beams and his inside spread, but his backs are super tall so that kind of makes up for it but still doesn't get him up into the upper 180's.

Also with great pictures like you have you can do comparison shopping and see that the G3's aren't quite as long as the G4's, etc. if you are really trying to put a pencil to it.

I learned a lot doing the monster muleys score contests when they were doing them, some of those were tricky, but it really was educational.

EDIT - But of course going back and looking again, I'm not sure the G3's are shorter than the G4's I think I was looking at it wrong in the picture, they look pretty close now. ;)

Last edited:
Sounds like I'm a bit optimistic.

I was thinking high 180's with the blades and deep forks.

It really depends. If i have a chance to look at a deer like this in pictures, I'll look at each part. If I saw that deer in the field... It would only take one look before I pull the trigger... There's no doubt, That is a big deer. He may gross green in the high 180's, but deductions and drying would pull that down some. I'm in no way an expert at scoring deer, but sure enjoy throwing a guess out there.

Fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back