Guess I am an odd duck.

Everyone has their own goals and objectives with their outdoor pursuits. I like to fill my freezer with venison. I do like to shoot animals with large antlers as well. I wouldn't pass up a hunt with my buds if I could only shoot a cow elk or a doe deer.
Good luck

@belshawelk, do you know anyone with a child that would like to hunt? I am guessing you would get as much or more enjoyment out of seeing a young hunter shoot his/her first elk as seeing one of your buddies shoot one.
I have in the past taken a buddy with his son but it is really tough terrain and he struggled by day two. I found him some elk but where they were i just don't think it would have been a good option. Needs to be in pretty decent shape and be able to shoot across a canyon if necessary ( 350 yards). Eastern Oregon can be a lot rougher terrain than people realize.

I have in the past taken a buddy with his son but it is really tough terrain and he struggled by day two. I found him some elk but where they were i just don't think it would have been a good option. Needs to be in pretty decent shape and be able to shoot across a canyon if necessary ( 350 yards). Eastern Oregon can be a lot rougher terrain than people realize.
Snake river country or more hells canyon?

Either way, for some of us, that’s a dream hunt.

And I ask only out of curiosity, but what are the elevations…

@belshawelk, do you know anyone with a child that would like to hunt? I am guessing you would get as much or more enjoyment out of seeing a young hunter shoot his/her first elk as seeing one of your buddies shoot one.
Nailed it. Maybe reach our to hunt of a lifetime organization or wounded warriors. Edit just now saw your post about the rough terrain

All my buddies want to come elk hunting with me on my property. I called them back to see who was in. I told them I just got a damage tag again because population is over objective. All 3 gave me same response. “ I thought you were pulling bull tags” ( LOP). When I said no I got same response, “probably not for a cow but when decide to pull bull tags let me know”. Told them I am looking to fill freezer.

I personally don’t care about horns. Been there done that. Guess I am an odd duck ( with a freezer full of meat)

I don’t ask twice.
Ok that’s just dumb. We live where Oregons top three big bull units come together, (more or less). See big bulls all the time, drew one of tags a few years ago. We love eating elk, mostly shoot spikes and would jump at an opportunity like that. Just caught up on the posts, Catherine and I drove through your area about 4 days ago. Never understood the attitude ” I ain’t going in there for a cow or a spike”
Good luck this fall, next time youre in Lagrande give me a shout, I’ll drive down, we’ll get coffee.

Last edited:
I am in Northside. Elevation go from 2000-4000' but they are short and steep hills with fairly deep canyons

I’ve got a couple places by Idaho City I’ve been looking at, …. Cousin showed them to me. He said he doesn’t go there any more because it’s public land and over run with people.

I'm not entering the odd duck debate, but....

For context, some of you need to realize that in Oregon, you only get one elk tag. If you take the cow tag, you don't get to hunt a bull at all in Oregon this year. Cows are great and taste good, but sometimes you want to have the dream that this is the year you find Big Hank. Both views are valid.

QQ

Back