PEAX Equipment

GPS selection

Montanaborn

Idnative1948 and I gave up on the unit we've hunted elk in for over 20 years and drew cow tags for unit 51 where we grew up hunting. Since it's been close to 30 years since we hunted the area I'm considering getting my first GPS. We still have several cousins in the area but the land has changed owners so many times I decided a gps and OnX maps will be the way to go. I'm getting the equivalent of a $750 cash award for 20 years with my current employer tomorrow. I'm leaning towards the Garmin Etrex 30X and the Idaho OnX map. Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.

Last edited:
I'm happy with my eTrex 20, but the screen is a bit small. I really liked my Oregon 450 that I used to have, but I fumbled around with the touch screen.

I have a garmin 60csx with onx card in it. I also have a touch screen by garmin. I've found the touch screen difficult to use. I havent spent a ton of time with it, but I liked having buttons to press. The display is better on the touch screen, I just found the 60csx to be easier to use. The 60csx is no longer made, but any of Garmin's GPSmap models are very close to what the 60csx is. Cabelas has a sale on the GPSmap 64s

My brother and I have the Garmin Rino's I am still using my old 530HCX and I bought him a new 655T for X-mas a couple of years ago. He gets turned around in these mountains sometimes when the snow comes and the feature where it shows on the screen where I am when we push the call button is really a life saver. We don't really use the radios all that much, but can if we need to.

get the biggest screen you can afford, easier to see the map details (especially for my 68 year old eyes)

Yes... My iPhone with the onx map on it is way better than my Rhino 610 for that reason. If the battery lasted longer and if had a person-to-person radio I might just use the iPhone.

I'm another fan of Garmin Rino's. My hunting buddy and I have been using them for the past 4 years. Ours are the older 530 HCx models. Every year we have hunted a different area of CO and I would not go out in the field without mine. I can't count the times it has helped my find our camp in the dark. The radio is a plus, and we both use them frequently. We will probably need to upgrade them in the next year or so, but until then, it is a piece of gear I don't want to be without.

Garmin Oregon 600 with hunt on x . Like drinking 15 yr old scotch!

I am 63, and have used the Oregon 450t for years, and just upgraded to the Montana 600t for the larger screen, it is just easier to see.
but both work great.

Kevin

I got the Garmin 650T on sale last winter because the larger touch screen is very handy and easier to see. It's a step up from my Garmin Colorado 400T, but it still sucks. The camera on it sucks, too, what junk. I look forward to the day very soon when smart phones eclipse Garmin with backcountry maps and navigation.

If you are packing in a few miles I like the Oregon. If a few extra ounces aren't that important, I really like the Montana.

I have had bad luck w the touch screens like the 450 Oregon,,I think you would do well with a 64 and a x map premium of your state.I have a 62 sc and really like it,it still has buttons,no touch screen.the touch screen that I had would turn on with the slightest touch in my pocket and burn a pair of batterys in 4 hrs,,they need some sort of hard screen cover or holder so the screen can be protected when in the field,,,i havnt seen one yet.

I have a garmin 60csx with onx card in it. I also have a touch screen by garmin. I've found the touch screen difficult to use. I havent spent a ton of time with it, but I liked having buttons to press. The display is better on the touch screen, I just found the 60csx to be easier to use. The 60csx is no longer made, but any of Garmin's GPSmap models are very close to what the 60csx is. Cabelas has a sale on the GPSmap 64s

Besides it being on sale I like the 64S, mainly for the ability to use it with heavy gloves on. I've watched several You Tube videos and comparisons on gpscity.com and the GPSMAP models seem to be more to my liking. Thanks for all of your opinions.

I'm still using an etrex 20. It's really only for emergencies and quick boundary checks. I don't like staring at any small devices/screens. A good map and compass is the way to go for me.

The older Rhino with the buttons works good for me. Touchscreens are a pain with gloves on so I've just stuck with the buttons. I turn the radio off to save batteries. I use the state chips and find them far more reliable than downloading to my phone.

UPS just delivered my Garmin 64S along with the ONXmap for Idaho. Trouble is I'm still at work and it is at home. Probably won't get much accomplished at work tomorrow. Can't wait to check out the BirdsEye subscription that came with it. I haven't hunted in the area we're hunting in this year since the late 60's early 70's. Should be able to kind of preview the area our cousins are pointing us to for our cow tags.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back