Gov't Shutdown Closes National Wildlife Refuges

Schmalts,

Write your congressmen...with your private sector goggle vision on, although that may be challenging with your head in your ass.

They're the ones that have caused this mess, and that includes the huge deficit, the shutdown, paying for a couple wars, etc. etc. etc

Mega-dittos.

It is not just congress. How many times have you heard Hypocrit in chief tout the word "bipartisan" you know, the same guy who refuses now to budge on anything like food stamps even though the amount of people on them has almost doubled since he took office? This budget thing is not all about Obamacare, and more about the amount of money it will cost to fund it in addition to all his other out of control spending. I think Boehner is a tool too but when he says we need to find a way to make cuts to keep the debt ceiling where it is, and Obama sits there with his hands in his pocket you cannot junt blame the congress. Time for a little "bipartisan" to happen and if Obama wants Obamacare and Obamaphones he better be prepared to lose something else in trade bacause I am not willing to freely pay more taxes to cover all his entitlements:mad:

All I know is when my employer tells me they are "closing shop" and I have no work and have to stay home, I have to file for unemployment. Don't see things as being any different here. Getting made whole defeats the purpose of "can't afford to pay you". Could have just kept working if that was the case.
Gov. workers can't file for unemployment, and yest they pay into it like everyone else, since technically they are not considered unemployed but just in 'non-pay status'. FWIW...

According to an univ. economist I heard give a presentation a couple of years ago, 4 things put us in a defiicit; military, medicare, medicaid, and social security. Therefore my view, from whatever type of goggle I'm supposed to be wearing ;) it appears to me that unless something is done to address those four items changes/cuts to other programs are really just 'feel-good' measures.

According to an univ. economist I heard give a presentation a couple of years ago, 4 things put us in a defiicit; military, medicare, medicaid, and social security. Therefore my view, from whatever type of goggle I'm supposed to be wearing ;) it appears to me that unless something is done to address those four items changes/cuts to other programs are really just 'feel-good' measures.

Employers pay into unemployment, not employees.

Obamacare will cost 2.6 Trillion over the next 10 years. Obamacare makes it 5 things that must be fixed.

...from the esteemed Mr. Lamb's source... Cato Institute;

http://www.downsizinggovernment.org/overpaid-federal-workers

I don't know what the answer is - I tend to believe that the government pays too much for low skill work and too little for high skill work when benefits are included - but that paper is a steaming pile of manure.

They compare the "average salary" of private jobs to governments job and conclude that gov jobs are paid too much, neglecting the fact that they aren't comparing the same type of job! (Not to mention the problem of average vs. median.)

They do cite a study that did compare the same types of jobs and found government employees were paid 26% less but - I couldn't make this up - they say they don't understand it so they don't believe it. Instead they rely on a USA Today poll that showed the government paid more in 8 of jobs the 10 they asked about. Maybe, but what about the hundreds of other types of government jobs out there!

Last edited:
Gov. workers can't file for unemployment, and yest they pay into it like everyone else, since technically they are not considered unemployed but just in 'non-pay status'. FWIW...
I believe that varies based on state unemployment laws. I've been wondering if a furloughed employee does receive unemployment benefits, then receives back pay, do they have to pay back the unemployment?

...too nefarious for the DSCC?

Dear Senator Murray:

For many months now, your colleagues in the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee leadership have engaged in a series of disparagements and ad hominem attacks about us, apparently as part of a concerted political and fundraising strategy. Just recently, Senator Reid wrote in a DSCC fundraising letter that Republicans are trying to “force through their extreme agenda faster than you can say ‘Koch Brothers.’”

So you can imagine my chagrin when I got a letter from you on June 17 asking us to make five-figure contributions to the DSCC. You followed that up with a voicemail* indicating that, if we contributed heavily enough, we would garner an invitation to join you and other Democratic leaders at a retreat in Kiawah Island this September.

I’m hoping you can help me understand the intent of your request because it’s hard not to conclude that DSCC politics have become so cynical that you actually expect people whom you routinely denounce to give DSCC money.

It is troubling that private citizens taking part in the discourse have become the targets of White House and DSCC fundraising missives, and we would certainly encourage you to rethink that approach. Ultimately, I expect voters will see through that and will weigh the issues on the merits alone. But in the meantime, if you could provide me some insight on what exactly you are asking of us and why, I would be most grateful.

Sincerely,
Philip Ellender
President, Government & Public Affairs
Koch Companies Public Sector, LLC

Last edited:
I believe that varies based on state unemployment laws. I've been wondering if a furloughed employee does receive unemployment benefits, then receives back pay, do they have to pay back the unemployment?
That is correct (state laws). Not sure on refunding unemployment bennies.

Edited to add: In Indiana, furloughed employees are eligible for unemployment benefits, but have to be without pay for 1 week prior to filing. If backpay is granted, all funds/benefits recieved would have to be re-paid. FWIW...

Employers pay into unemployment, not employees.

Obamacare will cost 2.6 Trillion over the next 10 years. Obamacare makes it 5 things that must be fixed.
Thanks for the clarrification. And I agree that would make it 5 things.

Last edited:
Neither party has any of our best interests in mind. Style points to build political capital is the end game with all these congressional self servers. Hell, any time someone from either party suggests something practical it's shot down either by the other party or their own party because someone might actually get credit for serving the people.

I hope you guys get back to work soon..and I hope you get back pay.

Oops... Minor technicality. :eek: It WILL be anyway. The whole thing just ends up costing MORE money than it would by just not paying anyone until it's resolved. Keep the folks on the job and let America go about it's business. Bunch of BS from a bunch of bought and paid for a-holes in office. You don't see any of THEM losing any money.

Instead of preventing the public from using a public resource and keeping paychecks from 800000 public SERVANTS how about they just fire 10% of the entire federal workforce in order to help with the deficit. And most of the private sector workers haven't seen a raise at all for the last four years. Boo frikkin' hoo. You guys could be at work today if Ried and Obama would have voted on the individual CRs last week. The times of big government are coming to an end. The lenders will make that adjustment a reality in a few years if we can't do it on our own.

I wonder what percentage of the Federal Government is actually closed 1% maybe 2%.?

I'm not sure of the percentage, but 800,000 workers have been furloughed. I live in rural Idaho and two of our biggest employers have closed because of the Government shut down. I just spoke with someone with the Forest Service and he said he has been directed to go up and close all of the trail heads and to inform anyone that is disperse camping they need to leave the Forest Service ground. He is the last one working at our Forest Service office. They let the fire crew go Saturday. Ridiculous if you ask me.

I just saw an article where our Commander in Chief said that we are in trouble and he is doing everything he can to work with the GOP. Well, no shit we are in trouble. And I don't think he is working with anyone.

Pentagon ordered 350,000 civilian enployees back to work.

Pentagon officials said more than 90 percent of the employees who were told to stay home are expected to return to work, under a decision made by Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel that the workers are needed to support the readiness of the military. The action, supported by members of both parties, will leave about 450,000 of the federal government’s 2.1 million civilian employees on furlough.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...d2ad3c-2dda-11e3-8ade-a1f23cda135e_story.html

Last edited:
When national parks, Federal WMA and BLM lands get closed, along with portions of the oceans, it's the result of a petulant childish POTUS who refuses to communicate and make concessions on his endless spending efforts. I even read over the weekend that Obama is threatening to shut down the Interstate Highway System if Congress doesn't give him carte blanche to increase the debt ceiling. Yet, he can send 100 Government Inspectors to Syria, and continue funding the Muslim Brotherhood and other aid programs in foreign countries!!!!

Maybe the GOP isn't so out of line with their stand as many would have us believe!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does the debt limit change any spending? The money has already been spent and congress already approved EVERY dollar of that spending. The Republicans are not in line unless you believe running up the your credit card bill and then declaring bankruptcy is the way to conduct business.

Obama doesn't have the power to appropriate any money from the Federal Treasury, in addition our aid to Egypt is by treaty, so now you want the U.S. to renege on their treaty agreements and their debts.

The problem is spending and we spend just as much regardless which party is in power. There shouldn't be a debt limit in our laws. There should however be a requirement to live within our means. The debt limit doesn't do diddly about that.

Nemont

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back