Going to Moab!

perma

My wife and I are taking our annual vacation to Moab. We're doing some off-roading, visiting Arches, doing some hiking to see the cave art and some fishing on the Colorado River. The trips I had there were very 'turn and burn' so I didn't give myself a chance to explore.

What else should we do, and what's your restaurant recommendations?

Did a "turn and burn" myself last year. Would love to spend more time in the area. Enjoy the trip and give a recap.

Second Canyonlands, although I like the Needles district a lot. It's a bit further south. What kind of off-roading are you doing? We spent a few spring breaks down there in college jeeping. Great fun.

Last edited:
Second Canyonlands, although I like the Needles district a lot. It's a bit further south. What kind of off-roading are you doing? We spent a few spring breaks down there in college keeping. Great fun.
The Bronco Off-Roadeo is there so we were considering doing that or renting our own and trail driving east of Arches. Havent fully decided on what yet.

Dead Horse Point, Negro Bill canyon hike. Castle Valley. La Sal mountains. White Rim trail. The "river road" 2 lane along the Colorado river is far more scenic than the shorter alternative if coming from the north.

My wife loves roadside tourist traps so we stopped at Hole in the rock south of Moab, it was actually quite impressive, some old prospector carved a 5000 sq ft house into the cliff. He was also an amateur taxidermist and there's some interesting work that he insisted on keeping in the bedroom and around the house.

A self-guided Fiery Furnace permit in Arches is pretty neat. When my wife and I went, the info we received warned, over and over, that you had to be “physically fit.” Actually, you just had to be “skinny” because it got tight in a few places.

I agree that Canyonlands and Deadhorse Point are also worth visiting while you are in the area.

A self-guided Fiery Furnace permit in Arches is pretty neat. When my wife and I went, the info we received warned, over and over, that you had to be “physically fit.” Actually, you just had to be “skinny” because it got tight in a few places.

I agree that Canyonlands and Deadhorse Point are also worth visiting while you are in the area.
Been in the furnace a couple times, 20+ years ago. Would like to do a self guide trip sometime.

No, sadly not yet.
There a lot of trails down there, of varying difficulty. My favorite is Kane Creek Canyon, but it has gotten harder over the years. Fins and Things is fun. Definitely hit Mini Lions back. We drove the White Rim road last year. Not hard, but scenic.

There a lot of trails down there, of varying difficulty. My favorite is Kane Creek Canyon, but it has gotten harder over the years. Fins and Things is fun. Definitely hit Mini Lions back. We drove the White Rim road last year. Not hard, but scenic.
Thanks for the advice. I’ve been looking for trails so glad to know I have a handful to check out.

Anyone ever been fishing in the La Sals? There’s a few small alpine lakes that I’m interested in trying. Seems like the roads to get there are maintained. I love fly fishing alpine lakes.

Hit the NP early to avoid the traffic. Hit up pasta jays or Milt’s stop for a burger and a shake.

Rent a bike and do the Whole Enchilada. Do it every time we go.

Off road. If you don’t have a capable rig, rent a jeep or UTV for the day.

If you’re not afraid of heights. Sky diving in Moab is amazing.

Onion creek
Fin and things
Chicken corners
Top of the world
Hells revenge

Last edited:
Back