Goat meat options

npaden

Okay, I'm for sure putting the cart before the horse here, but if I'm successful I'll need to butcher my goat on the road because I'll be starting my elk hunt right after that without a return trip home.

Based on everything I've read, the meat is good, but tough. I'm leaning toward just keeping the tenderloins and backstrap for steaks and then turning everything else into hamburger or sausage.

My question is roasts. To me it would seem like you can't ever get meat too tough for a good roast if you cook it long enough. Should I at least try the neck meat as roasts?

What about the hindquarters, can I get any jerky out of it or just go ahead and turn it all into hamburger?

Thanks in advance. Nathan

Where are you hunting goats?:D If you are referring to antelope, then consider them just like you would any other meat. The roasts are fantastic. I have not had any antelope meat that was not tender. They are great table fare. I would keep the back straps and whatever steaks and roasts you can cut from the rear quarters. Cut the rest for grinder meat or stew meat.

The whole key to antelope, is to get them skinned and on ice asap. It seems to me that it is more important with them than anything else. This may be due to the fact that many are shot in warm weather-I don't know.

Unless you are after a giant, you will kill one. You are not putting the cart before the horse. You are just covering your bases correctly. Make sure that you leave proof of sex attached to a fist-sized chunk of the rear meat to be totally legal (as per a Wyoming biologist that I talked to while hunting one time).

Good luck.

I'll be hunting Mountain Goats in Wyoming this fall. I know what parts I like on Antelope, pretty much everything. I make lots of steaks out of the hind quarter on them.

I've heard that mountain goat meat is really tough though, almost inedible as steaks. I can't imagine not at least making the backstraps into steak though. Just mainly curious about if there are any parts that would be worthy of a roast cooked a long time, like overnight. The neck seems like there would be enough ligaments and stuff to make it work, not sure about the hindquarters that I would normally cut into steaks, they might be too lean to make roasts.

Maybe my goat was the exception, but the roasts I tried could have been used for those shock absorbers they put on the foundations of buildings in earthquake prone areas. Almost impossible to chew. The more it was in the crock pot, the more electricity I used, but with no benefit to the texture of the goat roast.

My saving grace was a lot of people wanted to try it. No one came and asked for more.

Not even sure the burger could be considered "burger." No amount of suet could get it to stick together. Was able to hide it in some spaghetti. It also makes for some interesting tacos. I ate more tacos that year than in the entire years since.

I hope you have better luck than I did. The one animal I really felt was "work" to get the eating completed. But as much fun hunting as you could have.

Maybe my goat was the exception, but the roasts I tried could have been used for those shock absorbers they put on the foundations of buildings in earthquake prone areas. Almost impossible to chew. The more it was in the crock pot, the more electricity I used, but with no benefit to the texture of the goat roast.

With a sales pitch like that its a good think the hunts are tough and rewarding!

I hope your pet has no taste buds. I tried a lot of things with mine, then ended up donating it to the local raptor center.

My 2007 ended up as salami after several failed attempts as table fare.

If 2014 is successful, it'll go straight to salami.

Those are some resounding endorsements.

I at least thought it would make decent hamburger, now I'm starting to question even that!

My friend killed a goat 2 years ago. The backstraps were very good as steaks, really good flavor but just a little bit tough, I have had elk that was worse. The rest was made into bratwurst and they were awesome. I have heard goat hotdogs are great, emulsified meat is always gonna be tender.

Damn, this thread has me somewhat disappointed as a meat hunter. Then again, it also seems like a challenge. I wonder how goat meat would do as charcuterie, particularly dry cured items like mocetta (think procuitto for leg of goat).

I used to give jerky to friends in the office, walk away and then spy them as they tried it. If you shoot an old billy, may the force be with you.

I must hunt different antelope then the rest of you guys. I have shot 6 in the last 4 years and all have been excellent eating. Once more, skin within the first 1/2 hour and get the meat on ice. DO NOT touch any of the scent glands.

I am old fashioned... all backstraps are cut into steaks. The hind quarters are deboned and then sliced into 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick steaks. All the odds including neck and rib and front legs are made into hamburger. Hamburger is excellent for meatloaf.

I fry the steaks in butter and a dab of oil in a cast iron skillet with onions and peppers. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Maybe the trick is cooking the antelope that is cut thin like I do. Therefore it cooks very quickly. Just my thoughts.

picture.php

PS: you can NEVER have too much butter with any meal :) I'll be happy to take any your extra meat :)

good luck to all
the dog

Reading is hard.

If I get one I'm not packing out the meat.

I'll be hunting Mountain Goats in Wyoming this fall. I know what parts I like on Antelope, pretty much everything. I make lots of steaks out of the hind quarter on them.

I've heard that mountain goat meat is really tough though, almost inedible as steaks. I can't imagine not at least making the backstraps into steak though. Just mainly curious about if there are any parts that would be worthy of a roast cooked a long time, like overnight. The neck seems like there would be enough ligaments and stuff to make it work, not sure about the hindquarters that I would normally cut into steaks, they might be too lean to make roasts.

Now that's funny right there! You were REALLY going goat hunting! Cool stuff.

Would a preparation in a pressure cooker perhaps make the meat more palatable? I think JR is on to something with his idea.

You are right on, John. A pressure cooker makes nearly any kind of meat very tender. We have used it on any kind of tough meat. Jack rabbit back straps and quarters, squirrel and various deer have all been cooked in a pressure cooker and came out fantastic.

Jack rabbit cooked in a pressure cooker and then shredded tastes no different than beef in enchiladas. Squirrel is the same. Great stuff.

We have a pressure cooker that also is a slow cooker. You can pressure cook something and then add ingredients and slow cook it and man it makes some great meals!

It's called speed readin'. I'm just NOT PERFECT. At least I can add some amusement to the board during the slow summertime :)

good luck to all
the dog

Now the truth comes out!:) My goat was good for a gag reflex. Loved the comments by Fin and Greenie. All that is left, is for the same guys to come clean on how delectable that bear meat is that they get every year?! haha. Bozeman pooches get the short end of the stick I'm thinkin'.:D

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back