Glock 20 10mm

Can some one explain to me how bear spray is suppose to be more deterrent than a 200 grain 10mm projectile at less than 20 yards on a grizz? Seriously not trying to be a smart *ss but time and time again I see bear spray being recommended and then hear 357 mags and now 10mms not being enough for bear protection. There must be something im missing?

I agree with the last post and study. The forgiveness of the spray with it's wide pattern could save your life. Your right if you think you can squarely fire a fatal shot at a bear then I would agree that a pistol would be the trick. You only hit the bugger marginally and you've got a mess on your hands. Do you really feel you could keep it together in the heat of battle? I know I really more likely couldn't. I've oftened wondered what the reports were on those that have used spray and actually been mauled. The number is undeniably low. It may sound wussy to use spray but it does work and in the end that is all that matters.

If I had my choice I would pack both. One to spray him in the eyes and get him staggering and then a bullet to put him down:D

The thing that im trying to figure out is how does bear spray stop a bear in its tracks I guess? It seems that an adrenalin filled bear would shrug off some bear spray just as easily if not easier than a marginally placed 10mm bullet.
Sorry to the OP for thread jacking.

Best use I can see for a G20 is USFS, FWP, etc. law enforcement where you're just as likely to be toe to toe with a band of meth lab inhabitants as a toothy critter. The high cap and power blend might be enough to trump the brick of a grip in that instance. I'd encourage the OP to find someone nearby who has a fairly recent production full size Glock and put a few clips through it. If you like the feel and don't mind the weight for packing then you've got an option there.

For me the difference between bear spray and a gun is that you cannot take bear spray on a airline flight. The stuff is too costly to be buying and leaving it out there. I suppose a guy could cache the stuff if you know for sure you will come back next year but I also do not know if the stuff would be defective after a winter.

For me the difference between bear spray and a gun is that you cannot take bear spray on a airline flight. The stuff is too costly to be buying and leaving it out there. I suppose a guy could cache the stuff if you know for sure you will come back next year but I also do not know if the stuff would be defective after a winter.

Thats good to know shmalts. The whole reason im asking is because my buddy and I are flying into fairbanks this summer and then hitching to cold foot to back pack the brooks range. The only handgun we have is his 357, Grizzly protection as well as human protection is a must for this trip. Glad I know that now instead of wasting 60 bucks before hand only to have the airline take it. I think we will be bringing both but will have to buy the bear spray in alaska and leave it.

If its a windy day and you hunt with the wind in your face as you sneak through the trees and surprise a bear, do you run the risk of having a pepper plume blow into you? Wind and bear spray just don't sound good to me. Missing your shots at a charging grizz doesn't sound good either.

I'm thinking that I'm going to practice the charging grizz scenario next time I go to the shooting range. I'll bring a cardboard box and some twine. Then I'll put the box out 50 yrds with the twine tied to it and have someone pull the box to simulate a charging box...er I mean grizz. I'm curious how well I'll do.

If someone tries this please post up your findings.

Ya the wind would defiantly be a problem I would think but I'm still gonna order a can of the UDAP bear spray. Better to have it and not need it. Then need it and not have it

Last edited:
It seems that an adrenalin filled bear would shrug off some bear spray just as easily if not easier than a marginally placed 10mm bullet.
QUOTE]

That's not what studies and real life experience has shown.

I walked into a big one this fall and the one thing that I realized is that you better be a quick draw Mcgaw. I was goat hunting with a friend and we were walking down a trail toward a lake and before I knew it I heard a wuff sound and a huge bear barrelling away from us in the willows. It obviously saw and knew we were there and boogied away. What that made me realize is that I could of been breakfast before I knew it. They can move so fast! I would bet that if you hadn't seen one at 30 yards and it decides to charge there is no way you are going to draw a pistol, bear spray, or your arms up to pray in time to do anything, Alot of people want to talk big about drawing and shooting but when you're out calling elk your mind isn't on watching every step your making in regards to a charging bear. There's a big difference between having your gun drawn and scanning like an FBI agent and Joe Blow hunter with a bow, cow calls and maybe a gun or spray on his hip.

Thats what I was trying to get at. If you hit a charging griz in the eyes with a shot of bear spray at 20 yards hes gunna be on you before he even feels the effects of it. Looks like im screwed either way and im gunna end up a bear turd in the brooks range LOL we'll be packing both just in case.

That is a sweet video.
The physiological argument for the bear spray is that it will have an IMMEDIATE effect of massive swelling of the mucous membranes of the eyes, nose and throat. Will this stop a charge? Probably not, but when the bear hits you he is going to be thinking about his own survival and less about killing the human in front of him. A direct hit will swell the eyes completely shut instantly and its gonna be awhile before they open, let alone be able to focus. The swelling of the nose and throat would in effect cause the bear to be in a condition similar to a human in a very severe acute asthma attack. Anyone who went through Army basic training and had to go to the "gas chamber", pull off thier mask, breathe, state name and serial number, and then try to don and reseal thier mask...can probably relate. But I believe it would be several times stronger with bear spray. That said, I carry a .44 when I am archery hunting.

I've seen a couple different bears sprayed and can attest to the immediate effects and reaction of the bear. Working and playing in parts of Alaska that have the highest brown bear densities in the world, you get to witness lots of things around bears. To me a person should carry whatever makes them comfortable, be it bear spray or a handgun. Those of you who shoot handguns frequently, you know how much practice is required to become proficient with that weapon. I suspect many folks who carry handguns in the name of bear protection either could not draw the gun quickly enough or have the muzzle control to stop a bear when the proverbial *&#^ hits the fan. It is truly amazing how quickly a bear charge takes place. Regardless of what you carry, you better have it immediately available when you need it.

Sometimes I carry bear spray, sometimes I carry an 870 (my 'standard issue' for work). Personally, if I'm going to carry a handgun for bear protection. Give me a Glock 20 any day over a heavier revolver. True, there are a number of handgun calibers more powerful than the 10 mm but to me it comes down to unloading as many shots as possible as quickly as possible at extremely close range. I'll take 15 out of the Glock 20 over a third that many out of a .44. Just my thoughts.

Here is the way I see it,I have never been charged by a bear though I know it would happen super fast.I would get the glock 10mm full sized frame install the 3 1/2 pound trigger kit for better control and the longest aftermarket barrel around 6-6.5 inches and a good paddle holster.No need to load the gun up to full capacity if it is to heavy 6-10 rounds will be just as good as 15 or whatever it holds.I think this system would be way faster than a can of bear spray and lighter than a revolver.I think if you had a revolver and were charged you would be shooting the gun in double action anyhow.I doubt youd have time to pull the hammer back and take good aim.The 3.5# trigger in a glock will be better and faster than trying to shoot a full frame revolver double action.With the longer barrel and some good buff bore ammo you should get 41 mag performance.If the 10mm isnt enough power hopefully the sound will scare it away.This is my opinion.

Screw it im going with a big ole antler handled bowie knife. Would rather go that way for 3 reasons; 1.) I suck at shooting handguns, especially in a case of a charging grizzly and 2.) bear spray is for tree huggers and women and with mountain wind gusts its a matter of time before it comes in your face. 3.) in my case ill prolly sh*t my pants with either of the 3 weapons and get mauled either way, but my legacy will live on as the man who took on a griz with a bowie knife. :D:D
You guys are just a bunch of sissies :hump:

I have a glock 20 and carry it with me in the woods all the time. I practice regularly and so far it has been 100% reliable. I also carry spray. The key to either one is proficiency, you could carry a .500 Smith and if you can't hit your charging bear at 10 yards, you may as well have been using a water pistol. I like my glock and i shoot it well, in that sense i feel comfortable carrying it. whatever you choose, the key is to practice regularly and choose something with a proven record of reliability.

i will say this,the lightest calibure hand gun you should carry is a 44 mag if you are talking about grizz,my choice would be the 500 sw,with a 400 grain bullet,now as for glock,i would not trust a glock to kill the spider on my wall,let alone trust it to save my life in bear country,in my oppinion glock is worthy only as a show piece for some one who needs a better firearm,a better choice would be barreta 40,or danwesson pointman,or kimber,and especially the SW,now the 10 mm is a good calibure,just not in a glock,but is not a good bear round.:eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nomps
Back