Fulfilling a dream

montanaman

Hello,
I currently live in the Gallatin Valley, MT. Like many of you, I am trying to harvest my first bull elk. Last year however I was diagnosed with an genetic autoimmune disease that makes it very difficult for me to hike in difficult terrain but my passion and love for hunting pushes me out there every available opportunity I get.
I digress though. I was fortunate enough to draw a Taylor Fork Elk tag this season and I'm working hard with scouting in order to utilize that tag. Each time I've been to Taylor Fork I've been able to see good sign but I've never spotted a bull elk. However, my symptoms are worsening and do not know when I'll be able to go to hunt again.
My question to you guys is, should I focus my time elsewhere or should I stick it out in Taylor Fork until the season ends, in the hopes I harvest a bull elk?

I'm not familiar with Taylor Fork (although plenty of guys I work with have mentioned it), but if you are finding good sign, then you are in the elk. Finding where the elk are hanging out is one of the most important steps to shooting one. I would start changing up the way you hunt. I realize it might be difficult with your situation, but typically it's best to get out there early enough to be ready to shoot at first light. Then make sure you have a GPS and a good headlamp and stay until dark. The elk are smart and harder to find the closer you are to midday (usually). Another thing is that, when you know there are elk around GO SLOWWWWW. They most likely aren't going to be in a hurry to get anywhere as long as there isn't someone pushing them around. Get on some tracks and take it slowwwww. Keep looking through the trees with your binos.
Hopefully we'll have some snow in a week or two. If it snows, try to get out there as soon as it lets up and get on some tracks.

That's probably more generic than you were looking for. Hopefully someone chimes in about the Taylor Fork region. Really hope you get into one. I'm sure somebody on this forum will chime in with some good info.

It's been a few years since my family has hunted the Taylors Fork area, but I know it's still good. My advice would be to hunt the thick timber areas that are close to the road. We have seen elk, and a lot of elk sign very close to the main road. As always its just being in the right place at the right time with hunting. Good luck, my vote would be to stick it out down there.

It seems like an excellent location, especially when the elk migrate out of Yellowstone. The timber is so thick on the left side of the road that it is likely they would be in there, however I wouldn't be able to glass. A lot of archery hunters pushed them around in the weeks passed. Hopefully they didn't relocate.

What phutch30 said. If you are able, I would plan my hunts around the snow storms. The elk will come through. Its just a matter of being there when they do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back