Found?

Nice skull powderburn!

This thread got me thinking. Once my wife and I were hunting elk up around Cape Horn Creek in central Idaho when we came upon a Hot Shot camp. Apparently they parachuted in and put out a small fire (about an acre) and then left all their gear and hiked out or got choppered out. We packed out all their stuff. Four brand new shovels, four brand new hoedads (Polaskis), a really nice, professional medics kit with morphine and all kinds of stuff in it, several parachutes, paracord, some MREs and other stuff I've forgotten. It had been out there at least a year by the looks of the area but all in perfect condition. Tax dollars at work. :rolleyes: I'd rather have that skull or chunk of quartz/gold though!

Several years ago while elk hunting in the Breaks I saw what I thought was a sardine can in the sand on the sandstone point I was glassing from. I was going to put it in my pack so I could dispose of it properly. When I dug it out of the sand I saw it was a harmonica. The patent dates are Sept. 27 1892 and June 7th 1898. I have done some research and there is not much out there on Clover harmonicas. The only plausible explanation is that it belonged to a Basque sheep herder who would have been some of the first settlers of the area. The guts are in it and it still makes noise, but the wood parts that channel the air are long gone.

Attachments

• Hunting November 2014 001.jpg
    Hunting November 2014 001.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,402
I forgot all about finding a dead guy pheasant hunting here in Texas until I read Hatchie Dawgs post.

We thought he had been shot at close range with a shotgun or something (which concerned us since we were all carrying shotguns), but instead it was MULTIPLE stab wounds to the chest.

They had a suspect (girlfriend), but no one was ever charged with his murder that I ever heard.

I was just shooting with a guy who told me the 22 he was shooting was found against a tree in PA. He figure someone set it down walked away and couldn't find the tree again. It only had a few spots of rust. When I was a kid I lost my Buck lite folding knife while playing in the woods. The next spring I found it. Funny thing was I never knew I lost while in the woods figured it was lost in the house or something. Again one tiny rust spot I was able to rub off. Oh and I can't tell you how many beer cans I have found!!

Up to four bison skulls for me...One of them west of the divide.

Care to share more of this story SS?

Not much of a story, I chased a herd of elk in archery season up the Root side of the AP. In a real swampy and thick rutty elk area there lied the skull. It was in a little bit better shape than the one pictured here. Really old, and in a heavy forested region. Must of been some sort of mountain buffalo. I took the skull and put it in a safe spot so I could return and pick it up later. Problem was the elk took me for a couple of miles and I never returned for it that season. It's a ways in there and pretty nasty. So I went back the next season to gather it up and archery hunt but couldn't seem to find the "Safe" spot I set it down. So I don't have it.

I found another one at UL Bend in the CMR. It's illegal to pick up those things so had to leave it. That years flooding had exposed a big berm of dirt and there it was under about 3 feet of old mud. Perfectly preserved skull even with the black sheaths of the horn still on the bone. They weren't in took good of shape but there none the less. Last buffalo of the CMR? Maybe shot by Lewis or Clark. Who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoots-straight
I found a dead woman hunting bear one year.
I was heading up the mountain to bear hunt one evening, and looked down the hill and there was a Ford Bronco lying on it's side with the lights on and radio blasting. I walked around and yelled a couple of times and looked in the Bronco, but nobody was around. I figured that some drunk had rolled their car and was hiding out so I got back in the jeep to head up the mountain. For some reason I stopped backed up and got out again. I looked down stream of where the Bronco sat (high water) and hung up in the rocks was this person. She was face up and had some pretty good cuts on her that werent' bleeding (not a good sign) but I thought I had to do something or she might wash downstream. I know your not suppose to move hurt people because of possibly hurting them worse, but figured shock or drowning would happen anyway. So I jumped in with her, carfully slid my hands down her spine for support and as gently as I could I worked her up on the bank of the raging stream. I covered her up with a carpet from my jeep and headed for help. She was already dead, they figured the bronco had thrown her out landed on her once and flung her in the creek. Oh well I saved a dead woman.

Last edited:
A Bogen Tripod. I lost it 10 years earlier. Still worked great
Initials carved in a sandstone face in 1900 by my great grandfather and his brother. I didn't know they were there.
A weather balloon.
A balloon with a note written to a recently passed grandfather. It was written by a young girl and a younger boy.
A nice mule deer shed with a bullet stuck in the G4. Found a lot of shed several with bullet holes but it is the only one with a bullet still in it.
Maybe a dozen buffalo horns. The best was 50 Yards form the county road in some thick sagebrush
A cigarette pouch. had a pack of cigarettes and 13 dollars and 25 cents in it.
Antlerradar

That's an 1873. A relic in that condition is worth more to me personally than the same rifle in pristine condition. One hell of a find. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, It's an 1873 model, but in one of the other posts they have tracked down the serial number to determine that it was manufactured in 1882. I guess I was't clear on that in my post.

I found an old plane wreck in a high basin in Alaska. I spotted it glassing from about a mile away. It was late in the day and I wanted to get back to camp before dark so I didn't hike over to it. I also would have had to go through some thick alders and a bear had been spotted in that basin. I was more concerned about that bear than I was curious about the wreck. The air taxi had never seen it and knew nothing about it.

There was a story about a man getting killed by a deer he had shot near where I grew up. Supposedly, he shot the deer and when he walked up to field dress it, it jumped up and bored him to death. It was supposed to have happened in th 30s. My dad fought his way through all the thick brush and green briars to hunt the area. He finally got to an opening and noticed some ancient mossy covered deer bones. One of the bones didn't look right so he walked over and picked it up. It turns out that it was a really old bone handled knife darn near gnawed and rusted up. Ever time I look at that old knife, I can't help but think it belonged to that unfortunate hunter and that was the deer that kind him.

I found a picture of the antler with the bullet in the G4.

Attachments

• CCI01162015.jpg
    CCI01162015.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 1,099
Strangest thing I found was a strap-on dildo far from any roads while hunting javelina in AZ.
On Lana'i Hawaii I found this bomb while hunting Mouflon Sheep.

Attachments

• 20120730_152605.jpg-25%.jpg
    20120730_152605.jpg-25%.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 1,194
Last edited:
Last month I was hunting elk at 8000+ elevation. I saw a bone sticking up and went over to look. Instead of the expected deer or elk jaw, it had tusks. My only guess so far is someone hauled a pig up there as bear bait.

Earlier in that hunt I found what I presume was some sort of a memorial way up on the mountain. It had wind chimes, silk flowers, various pieces of metal artwork of big game animals, and a can of beer. Maybe that had been someone's favorite place.

Attachments

• jaw - 2.jpg
    jaw - 2.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 1,071
  • jaw - 1.jpg
    jaw - 1.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 1,112
Rock

I found this rock in western Nebraska around the Scottsbluff area. I know close to where I hunt the are a lot of native American artifacts found. Anyone have any idea what is would be or used for??

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1447007739884.jpg
    FB_IMG_1447007739884.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,183
I was off-trail in the Snowcrests about four miles from any road and found two big coolers full of hostess cupcakes.

I was hunting some public land in NE Iowa over the weekend and found two rocks. This one is a bull and the other one was an elephant. They were both about 2' high by 3' long. I have an idea of how they got their too. In the 1960s, possibly before, this area was used by "Gypsies" people who would be traveling through the area and stay for several days and leave. I have also found a couple old schoolbuses that were campsites and numerous metal trash cans buried in the hillside with the lid at ground level. These acted as refrigerators for the camps. bull.jpg

Last year was a pretty brutal elk hunt. On opening day we easily hiked 10 to 12 miles and only saw two bulls. In a bowl far from camp I looked down and couldnt stop laughing at a happy little rock at my feet. After I showed my two hunting buddies I put it in my pack and took it home to show my family. It now sits on our piano as a reminder to keep smiling.

Attachments

• rock.jpg
    rock.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 956
Back