Flat tops

Birddog916

Hi Hunttalkers,
I'm considering doing an elk drop camp this year in Colorado's Flat Tops. It will be during the muzzleloader season and we thinking about going with Fritzlan & Family Guide & Outfitter Services. Does anyone have experience with them? Would you hunt with them again? They have promised to get us far enough into the wilderness to avoid most of the other hunters as I understand the Flat tops can be a very busy place in the fall. Anyway, I'm burning my points on this hunt this year and hope I made the right decision. I'll be three of my good friends two of us with muzzleloaders and 2 with bows. I'm looking forward to the trip. Always open to tips on packing and what to bring. This will be the first time I've done a horse based drop camp, and I haven't been on a horse in years. I will be sure to report back on the trip.

Cheers,
Joe

Hi Hunttalkers,
I'm considering doing an elk drop camp this year in Colorado's Flat Tops. It will be during the muzzleloader season and we thinking about going with Fritzlan & Family Guide & Outfitter Services. Does anyone have experience with them? Would you hunt with them again? They have promised to get us far enough into the wilderness to avoid most of the other hunters as I understand the Flat tops can be a very busy place in the fall. Anyway, I'm burning my points on this hunt this year and hope I made the right decision. I'll be three of my good friends two of us with muzzleloaders and 2 with bows. I'm looking forward to the trip. Always open to tips on packing and what to bring. This will be the first time I've done a horse based drop camp, and I haven't been on a horse in years. I will be sure to report back on the trip.

Cheers,
Joe
@LuketheDog would be a good resource on this. Not sure if he knows specifically about them but he guides fishing trips up there.

Just make sure they arnt taking you for a pony ride into a place that someone can easily access by 4-wheeler or a car.....I have heard of this happening. I would be wanting to know exactly where they planned on dropping me prior to signing a contract so I could verify that I am not being put in that situation.

I would be requesting to hunt deep in the designated wilderness.

Either way, regardless of who drops you off, if they are getting you a ways into the flattops and you are willing to work for it, you should have a great time. Good luck on your hunt!

Hi Hunttalkers,

Cheers,
Joe
@LuketheDog would be a good resource on this. Not sure if he knows specifically about them but he guides fishing trips up there.

I haven't heard of those guys, looks like their base camp is ~12-15 miles southwest of where we operate and in a part of the Flat Tops I haven't seen yet, north of Rifle and New Castle. The national forest areas around there do indeed get very busy so hopefully they'll take you into the wilderness like they promised and you can find some solitude, and just because you're going to a drop camp don't expect that they're going to drop you into the middle of the elk, so learn how to use a call. September in Colorado can bring literally any type of weather, pack accordingly!

*edit*
I should add that this is the lodge I work with, we've been guiding up there for 5 years but a great friend of mine and his wife bought it 2 years ago and they're putting a lot of work into the place. I don't know if they are booked up for hunting this fall yet, but regardless of what outfit you use I'd hurry up and decide because they fill up fast.

Last edited:
They are a decent family run outfit. I have not hunted with them, but know the family(went to school etc. with them). I don't have anything bad to say about them and people I have known to hunt with them over the years never had any major issues. I would also strongly suggest you look at Forrest Keith and Flat Top Adventures. They have done really well in the early archery seasons and have a good reputation and following for guided hunts. Not sure about their drop camps???

Hi Hunttalkers,

Cheers,
Joe
Joe,
Like others have said, be very cautious and inquisitive regarding who you choose as an Outfitter. Where the outfitter will set your drop camp up away from the other horse trails and how they will access the wilderness. Most of the roads that go to the Trail Heads into the wilderness are 4W, not horse trailer friendly. Deep Creek and Sweetwater Creek Roads out of Dotsero off I-70 will each be a parking lot full of trucks and jeeps and horse trailers. Trappers Lake road up north out of Meeker will be a real zoo that must be avoided. There will be horse camps all along most of the major trails. Another point...the Outfitter, whomever it may be, will set up your drop-camp in a spot that will NOT be near where that same outfitter will take the fully guided clients. All the fully guided muzzleloader clients will get the best locations. They are paying him a lot more money. Just ask lots of questions. Where ever you end up, plan on working HARD, being persistent and patient. Have fun and enjoy the beautiful country. The HT folks will have lots of great advice for you. Good luck!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back