NEW SITKA Ambient 75

First Rifle Elk Colorado....& other states

I will be getting a portion of 2nd season at our regular camp in 25/26. It will be the first trip with the new/old Jeep YJ so I will be trimming the gear list this year as compared to what I carried in Big Blue. :) I will have a buck and bull tag and looking for meat. After not getting to hunt either last year the freezer is a little light. Going to the range on Friday to shoot a little. Wish I had the 10 days I wanted to take instead of 5 but will be happy just to go :)

Added Picture

I've got 3rd rifle in the high country, like my weather cold and miserable...that being said I've hunted 3rd rifle in the same area almost 15 years and I've seen blizzards as well as 60-70 degree days.

As for photos of my gear, well, there just may not be enough memory on my machine to show all that! :)

I am blessed to get a chance to take my best friend from North Dakota along this year to bird dog me. He will get a real time look at elk hunting in the Rockies before getting a tag next season, with a little guidance from me. Always love to pass along the knowledge and passion of elk hunting!

Here is one of my secret pieces of gear!
New Image.jpg

Wisconsin hunter here, heading on my first western hunt in 15 days. Going to SW colorado in an OTC unit for bull only, second rifle season. Driving out with one of my oldest and best friends. Shooting a stainless winchester model 70 30-06 on this trip. We've got zero experience between the two of us, but our enthusiasm is off the charts :)

Heading on 1st elk trip 2nd rifle season with my wife. I'm hunting, she's "keeping me safe", lol. Backpack in 2 mi. as long as the weather is good enough. We have the full week from Saturday to Saturday. I have been planning this hunt for 3 years. Three different buddies have backed out on it. I told my wife I was going no matter what and she elected to come along to keep me company. I told her it was going to be miserable and she didn't back out, she has hit the gym hard for the last three months and seems to be prepared. Hope we get to see some elk!! Lucky I get to have some company even if we don't!

Heading on 1st elk trip 2nd rifle season with my wife. I'm hunting, she's "keeping me safe", lol. Backpack in 2 mi. as long as the weather is good enough. We have the full week from Saturday to Saturday. I have been planning this hunt for 3 years. Three different buddies have backed out on it. I told my wife I was going no matter what and she elected to come along to keep me company. I told her it was going to be miserable and she didn't back out, she has hit the gym hard for the last three months and seems to be prepared. Hope we get to see some elk!! Lucky I get to have some company even if we don't!

She sounds like a keeper...best of luck

Very nice set of wheels!

I've got 3rd rifle in the high country, like my weather cold and miserable...that being said I've hunted 3rd rifle in the same area almost 15 years and I've seen blizzards as well as 60-70 degree days.

As for photos of my gear, well, there just may not be enough memory on my machine to show all that! :)

I am blessed to get a chance to take my best friend from North Dakota along this year to bird dog me. He will get a real time look at elk hunting in the Rockies before getting a tag next season, with a little guidance from me. Always love to pass along the knowledge and passion of elk hunting!

Here is one of my secret pieces of gear!
View attachment 62648

Anyone hearing any rut reports from CO? Im guessing its over? Did hear from a guy in souther CO who said it seemed to be later this year where he was hunting and an outfitter speculated that they will still be lightly rutting for first rifle. Saw Hank stated in another thread that the bulls were still screaming in NM.

Make it happen NHY! Sitting at the office and those simple words you posted has me amped... Best to you!

Curious if you heard any bugles after opening day or did they stop when the shooting started?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back