First Mulie hunt in Salmon/Challis ID

Chalk2000

Hello Everyone, I'm brand new to this site and I love it. I'm going to visit family in Idaho week of 10/10/16 (from California) and make a hunt while I'm there. My family kills deer/elk every year but pretty much just meat hunts. I'm looking for something a little nicer than a meat buck. Terrain looks challenging, but I'm a hound hunter at heart and don't mind walking. From the pics I get from my family every year, looks like the bucks in that area don't have much mass horn wise (mainly diameter)?? I'm sure there really nice bucks there just gotta find them. Anyways, I'm super stoked and cannot wait to get there to see family and hunt. Any info on the area would be appreciated.

I've hunted units 37 and 37a around Challis. Good bucks are in there but you will need horses as it's STEEP. Not considered a trophy area but good deer can be found if you work for it....Good luck....

The genetics were traditionally some of the best in Idaho genetics haven't changed the problem is the age class. Most of the bucks that are shot are young and thin horned. Big bucks exist throwout the state but they typically only show up in the late season.

The genetics were traditionally some of the best in Idaho genetics haven't changed the problem is the age class. Most of the bucks that are shot are young and thin horned. Big bucks exist throwout the state but they typically only show up in the late season.

Understood..Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to give her hell all next week.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ss8
Back