NEW SITKA Ambient 75

First Elk Hunt Colorado Unit 421

MarkGriggs

I am planning my first elk hunt for the opening next year. I buying an OTC tag in unit 421, if anyone has any info on this unit please let me know. This will be my first western hunt

Not sure you're aware of this. When you buy an OTC tag it's good for all the OTC units. You don't buy one for a specific unit.

It's a decent unit. OTC will be a giant cluster, as with any otc hunt in CO. If I were to hunt it again I would look to the far SE corner of the unit. Hunt far away from the roads. Check out the country behind Haystack mountain.

It's a decent unit. OTC will be a giant cluster, as with any otc hunt in CO. If I were to hunt it again I would look to the far SE corner of the unit. Hunt far away from the roads. Check out the country behind Haystack mountain.

That is in unit 42, but I wouldn't hunt that area...there aren't any elk there.................................

Oops, your right. Tags are usually good for 41, 42, 421, but if the OP is going otc it wouldn't matter any way. That's where I would go either way.

I was not fully aware of that thank you. i am still piecing all of this together. If you would suggest a different unit and would like to share I would greatly appreciate it. I picked this unit based off accessibility and harvest reports

Are you saying that there are not elk in 421? This is kind of direction I was lead too after reading harvest and migration reports.

Sorry for the multiple post, i thought it was replying to questions i was asked. New to the site. I will condense here

I will be bow hunting and try to carry a B tag if allowed, I mainly decided on 421 based off harvest and migration reports that I could find and the conversation I had when i called the parks and recreation dept.

I think the biggest question is where do I start. Do i pick a range a land area and just start hiking, try to hunt different sides of hills based on time of day?

Gonna be headed to that area fir the 2nd rifle season. Was there 4 years ago and took a small 5pt. My brother and his group hunt there every year and average 2 elk, between 8 guys. There's lots of pressure in that unit. There camp is 4 miles from the trailhead and they see several other hunters everyday.

Gonna be headed to that area fir the 2nd rifle season. Was there 4 years ago and took a small 5pt. My brother and his group hunt there every year and average 2 elk, between 8 guys. There's lots of pressure in that unit. There camp is 4 miles from the trailhead and they see several other hunters everyday.

Thanks for the feedback, the numbers you have are almost identical to the averages on the harvest report.

If you haven't already I'd check out the Colorado Hunt Atlas. It shows a great deal of info, including the elk summer range (generally, where they'll be in bow season), migration routes, etc. I would look at that, grab a paper map and google earth and rack your brain. Figure out where the roads are and if any are closed, if there are any significant water sources, etc. I'm not a bow hunter, so I can't go much further than that, but you should be able to get a good grasp on where you want to hunt based on those resources.

Sorry for the multiple post, i thought it was replying to questions i was asked. New to the site. I will condense here

I will be bow hunting and try to carry a B tag if allowed, I mainly decided on 421 based off harvest and migration reports that I could find and the conversation I had when i called the parks and recreation dept.

I think the biggest question is where do I start. Do i pick a range a land area and just start hiking, try to hunt different sides of hills based on time of day?

I have some ideas for you in a different unit if you want to shoot me a PM. Regardless, I'd focus your time during the week to get away from the weekend warriors. Colorado elk get a ton of pressure so you're going to be doing some serious walking in difficult country. Find wallows and water sources and don't be afraid to skirt the edges of heavy timber along private land boundaries. Just don't stick one and have it run onto private ground!

Yes, be very careful with private land in Colorado. It doesn't have to be marked. It's up to the hunter to know where it is.

Back