Caribou Gear

First elk hunt bob marshal

I hunted "The Bob" a few years back and had a great experience - I found this, it is beautiful, rugged country that holds a lot of bears and a few elk. We saw 1 elk - a 6x6 that I shot. I would go back in a heartbeat just for the experience though. It's a special place back in the Bob. We came in from the south, so that's where my review is based on. Go and enjoy yourself. Whether you have all matching Sitka gear or look like you walked out of a garage sale, doesn't matter. If you've got the money and you think Sitka will make you hunt longer and enjoy the journey more - go spend your money and don't look back. I chose to spend my money differently than that, but to each his own. Take time and enjoy the entire journey!

-Mitch

Sitka gear gortex - get the heavier version - and everything else will layer under that.
Get gaiters as it keeps the trash out of your boots
speaking of boots - get something good like kenetrek. i use the hardscramble hikers for all MT hunts (uninsulated as if get cold, build a fire or walk more)
add the Outdoor Research boonie gortex hat. can wear like cowboy hat when raining and not have to put your hood up - so you can hear that grizzly bear breathing down your neck as it sneaks up on you...

Back