Favorite Wild Game Meal

Whitetail_kid

Thought I'd start a new thread, what's everyone's all time favorite way to cook wild game?
I'll go first. My favorite wild game meal is probably poppers. Jalapeno stuffed with cream cheese, a piece of venison, wrapped in bacon and smoked. It's a toss up between that or chicken fried venison steak.

Last edited:
Toss turkey thighs & legs with some taco seasoning and beer in the instant pot until they’re fall apart tender (20ish mins), then shred and make into tacos. I’ve done this with deer shank now too.

Not necessarily the “best” recipe, but it’s a good way to use parts that often get overlooked or discarded altogether.

Elk backstrap is my favorite big game meal. Cook the strap whole in an oven until medium rare. Slice off red pieces of meat. Morel mushroom sauce, good red wine and asparagus side.

I need to go check the freezer now. I think we have a package or two of backstrap left.

This is a really tough one, but schnitzel might the winner. I have made it with turkey and mountain lion. Both were excellent.

A couple of runners up would be wood duck poppers and I have only made it once so far, but whitetail tenderloin rouladin rubbed with blackening spice and stuffed with blue cheese and pickled jalepeno. It wasn’t the prettiest thing in the world, but it was tasty…

65793902060__3CC32D1B-A2C7-4172-B5DC-4F9AECB1A818.jpeg

Toss up between fish or back strap wrapped in bacon stuffed with Jalapeño cream cheese

I've got three:

Elk roast smoked to 125 then seared in bacon fat on a cast iron pan. Thin slice across the grain.
Heart cut into fajita strips and pan fried in a little bit of butter.
Elk steak that's been generously dosed with S&P then gently kissed with a smokin' hot pan. No more than 60 seconds on each side. Some say "blue" I say it's how steak is supposed to be cooked. There's no greater sin in our household than overcooked meat.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back