Ethics of removing tree stands from public land

A friend who used to live along side of the public land west of Madrid and before the DSM river said the DNR would cut the tree down. Never said if they took the tree stand or not.
Interesting. I see stands hanging along the DSM R directly west of Madrid all the time. I used to hunt that area a fair bit. In fact, I can tell you of a double wide leaner that is within 1/4 mile of the DNR research campus south of Boone.

In South Dakota, they have had auctions to sell off all the confiscated tree stands, dead heads, illegal kills, empty brass, LE firearms etc. These are not too often, every couple years or so. It is sad to see someone spend $1300 to get a deer antler rack, not knowing if he poached it originally or what? Maybe he was buying the head he was hunting for and someone POS took it out from under him.

Where I grew up, you could earn a buttfull of birdshot for messing with someone's gear, legal or not. Fewer witnesses here in NM, I'm leaving it be. Have not seen any tree stands here, but I'd leave em alone.

David
NM

I believe in, it isn't mine so I won't take it.

Doesn't mean I won't setup next to it if in a good spot and I think its abandoned
Aren't they generally supposed to be tagged with the owner's name and contact info?

Aren't they generally supposed to be tagged with the owner's name and contact info?
Yup they are supposed to be. Doesn't change my view. Not mine, I am not taking it. I have seen stands for several years, some the tree even fell. We also setup 30 yards from one after 2 seaso s of seeing nobody or no sign of it being used. Only to come in during rut to have it gone. Seems the guy hunted it 2 to 3 morning gs a year, but only rut and we never crossed paths

Contact the owners of the land, not the warden. It's definitely not your place to take them down.

Nothing like a POS thief!!! If it's not your land, leave them alone or report them.
Contact the owners of the land, not the warden. It's definitely not your place to take them down.
One could argue that public land is your land.

Who would you contact if not the warden? The Government office of ?

One morning I bumped into a warden at a trailhead as I was coming off stand in northcentral MN back in about 2008, and he asked me if I wanted the two stands he had just taken down that had been illegally left on the public. They were heavy as hell, so I declined, but had they been decent I would have gladly taken them off his hands.

Moral of the story, I never left my Lonewolf up overnight again.....

Nothing like a POS thief!!! If it's not your land, leave them alone or report them.
Clueless. At that point it’s trash. Haul it out of the woods and do as you wish. And not half as bad as the lazy, entitled, tree killing, POS/SOB that left the stand there to garbage up public land and kill a perfectly good tree. Any other ignorant comments you wish to make today?

I hiked a broken down, and damaged game cart (from an e bike), out of an area where e-bikes were not aloud. I met with the game warden when I got back to the truck and told him all about it. Showed him the cart, and asked what to do with it.

He said thanks for hiking out the trash and if anyone contacted me about the cart give them his number so he could write them a ticket for having an e- bike out there. Then told me to keep it or throw it away

Talked to a retired warden, he said don’t waste their time by calling them in. Do what we want with them. Maybe he said that because he’s retired 😂. I have to go check some otters in at the field office, so I’ll get with them and find out when I’m there.
Any update?

Got two different answers so decided I’d set the stands on the ground and keep them from killing the tree.

First warden was the retired guy who said they are “litter” and second said I don’t care but if another warden sees you, they will probably write you a ticket. So at the end of the day, I’ll see if anyone moves them next hunting season. I’ve found so many more since I posted this. It’s just crazy. There’s 4 around the beaver pond I have traps in right now, and probably 6+ behind my house. Plus multiple cameras with dead batteries. Who knows how long those have been out.

I just spotted a ladder stand 125 yards off a gravel road that I travel everyday. I’m in disbelief and embarrassed that I hadn’t noticed it until this afternoon. It even has a blaze orange ratchet strap.

I just spotted a ladder stand 125 yards off a gravel road that I travel everyday. I’m in disbelief and embarrassed that I hadn’t noticed it until this afternoon. It even has a blaze orange ratchet strap.
Someone getting ready for spring turkey?

Someone getting ready for spring turkey?
There is an older gentleman who Turkey hunts in that area, but he usually sets a blind up. I talk to him every year. It’s a good spot because it’s between a roost and the only field in the area that they feed in.

Back