Elk Rifle for this Year

ElkHunter11

Recently bought this Browning X-Bolt .300 win mag. Anyone have a good/bad experience with the X-Bolt? Have put 20 rounds through it so far and I think I'm going to be pleased with it. Definitely have a couple more boxes to run through it though until I feel comfortable putting it on a bull. X-Bolt.jpg

Keep us updated on your range time, I am also considering an xbolt this year. Heard a lot of good things about them.

Can't go wrong with a Browning in my opinion. I shoot an A bolt that's at least 25 years old and have no plans to change anything.

I have an X-bolt in 300 win mag and 25-06. The 25-06 is new this year and I still need to get to the range with it. The only reason I bought it in the 25-06 was because of how much I liked the 300 win mag last year while hunting.

Went to the range for a couple of hours this morning. I'm still breaking the rifle in (only 20 rounds prior to this morning). Shot at 100-1" groupings, 200-3.5" groupings and 300 yards-6" groupings. I love shooting this gun, but I want to get those groupings a little tighter. I'm hoping once I shoot a couple more boxes through it, it will be a great shooting gun. I was shooting 180 grain federal premium vital shok trophy copper. I'm going to switch it up and try out the 180 grain federal premium trophy bonded tip or may try the Nosler accu bond or Nosler partition, depending on how the trophy bonded tip performs.

While I don't have a 300 Win Mag, I have shot Federal Fusions in 243, 6.8 SPC, 223, 7mm-o8, 308 and 7mm Rem Mag. All shot them very well. I several cases, they were more accurate than anything else I've tried. I have tried solid copper bullets in a few calibers and have not found them to shoot as well as other ammo.

I have an x-bolt in 300 WM that I really like alot. I got it cerakoted this year as well. So far I have taken two cow elk and two mule with it.

I have an x-bolt in 30-06, and absolutely love it! Mounted a Vortex scope on it. While I can't speak for others, mine will shoot sub-moa. The nicest thing about my x-bolt is it'll shoot 168 gr. Berger, Barnes T-TSX, and Noslers' e-tip to same point of impact out to 200yds. Past that distance I cannot say only because of my local rifle range is maxed at 200yds. Actually thinking about getting another one, but in stainless steel.

Primary is a 300 wby ULW that weighs 7pds8oz hunt rigged and shots 200 accubond at 3175fps with a vortex scope and custom turrent that is dead On! Can't wait, shot elk and muleys and this is just the perfect rig for me and way I like to hunt. Good luck to all

C

Primary is a 300 wby ULW that weighs 7pds8oz hunt rigged and shots 200 accubond at 3175fps with a vortex scope and custom turrent that is dead On! Can't wait, shot elk and muleys and this is just the perfect rig for me and way I like to hunt. Good luck to all

C
Must be an awful stout load to get that velocity. mtmuley

Must be an awful stout load to get that velocity. mtmuley

Lot of powder but It is less than 1% over book(which is only a basic parameter with a Wby) but this barrel is long and seems to shot everything fast and loves h1000. Don't see pressure signs till just shy of 3300 as crazy as that sounds. Think factory loads are 3080 but these handloads shot bug holes and that kind of confidence is helpful when staring down a critter. That fast 200 AB seems like the perfect elk bullet to me!

C

Lot of powder but It is less than 1% over book(which is only a basic parameter with a Wby) but this barrel is long and seems to shot everything fast and loves h1000. Don't see pressure signs till just shy of 3300 as crazy as that sounds. Think factory loads are 3080 but these handloads shot bug holes and that kind of confidence is helpful when staring down a critter. That fast 200 AB seems like the perfect elk bullet to me!

C

OK. Let's start with your barrel. What length is it? mtmuley

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back