Yeti GOBOX Collection

Elk Calls?

NChunter

I know it is a little early to be thinking about elk season. But I would like to know which calls you guys have had success with. I want to improve my chances this year. Thanks.

Primos I Maka Da Bull Crazy cow call. Don't make fun, but I also have a Hoochie Mama. Terminator for a bugle. I may think about getting a reed, so I can have a hands free cow call to stop critters while drawn or looking through the scope. However, I've been able to stop a few without spooking them with just my mouth. TJones makes some nice looking calls. Never heard them, but they cool.

It is interesting that you can use one call one year or even day and have great luck and then the next nothing. I do carry multiple calls for this reason. Either I'm using them differently or they are just responding to different sounds for different reasons.

It is interesting that you can use one call one year or even day and have great luck and then the next nothing. I do carry multiple calls for this reason. Either I'm using them differently or they are just responding to different sounds for different reasons.

I fully agree, I always carry a couple 3 different calls around my neck as well as a diaphragm. Not sure what changes things one year to the next. One year I had a bull that was just over the top hot if I hootchie called him and would not make a sound to any other call, but squeeze that Hootchie and you'd think I just stepped on his sack he would scream back so quick. The next year my bull came in to a lil cowgirl primos call which I always thought sounded horrible. Them damn elk are goofy critters for sure.

Try using a couple I would say, but learn their language. Any call can make you successful. It changes and depends. Like us, bulls have different taste in different women. I have a couple Primos calls (hyper lip single and double) and an old Sceery ace3. Buddy carries the hoochie mama. It is nice to hit that when you have cotton mouth from climbing 1k feet, and cannot make the hyper lip sound sweet. One evening last year, we had one bull going crazy for the hyper lip single, another was answering and coming to the ace3 which i seldom use? the cows were silent, and these two bulls were like Bocelli and Pavarotti blasting vocals in this big canyon. >>>I almost think you should look at a decoy to improve chances rather then worry about which call. I have not used nor do I carry a decoy, but it will be the next thing I add to the elk hunting accessory pack.

I went to a diaphram call this year and with a little practice I feel like I can talk circles around any reed calls or push calls. I have a stack of both, but my $5 diaphram call is the only thing that my buddies bull would respond to this year.

I bring a couple different mouth pieces and my faithful "hoochi mama" allows me to call with the palate and a hand type call.

Gotta say, the calls have worked great... though the archer needs work... SOLO is darn tough... With another the darn bulls practically circle us to catch wind... as expected... though still a pain. Buddy has gained one (woohoo!) though for my side, partner can bring em in, I just haven't slung an arrow...

Too early to think about elk....come on now, it's never too early.

I have multiple. My favorate is a Bugling Bull Game Calls reed. I also have the Primos Hyperlip single and double as well as the hoochie and baby hoochie. I don't take the hoochies with me anymore, beotches get around and the sound is too common. I practice with the reeds year round and can make a variety of calls so I don't bother much with anything else. For a grunt tube I just cut up a wiffle ball bat and wrapped it in camo. Best $5 grunt tube a guy can buy.

I mostly carry a homemade cow call. I always have extras in pocket and pack, prefer primos lead cow n calf or sceery ace-1 for cow calls. Although I have about 15 others that go sometimes. For bugles I mostly use a thunder bugle( I bought it long before his hunting legal issues) and it works well for me. I'm working on a homemade bugle just for fun.

My calls aren't as pretty as Tjones yet. His are awesome looking, hope I can get mine looking that nice at somepoint.

Here is a pic of mine and my daughters I steal sometimes from her.

Attachments

• cow calls 001.jpg
    cow calls 001.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 237
Yep, also got a pink AR in 22 and pink bino's. Workin on a pink rifle, have the stock. Need a pink scope.:D Forgot pink bow and arrows.

Last edited:
too early to think about elk?? I've been out turkey scouting for weeks and always find myself looking for a new elk spot in the fall....but like the others said I carry about 4 or 5...always feel like that is too much until they wont bugle to one and answer to another...quite aggrivating but thrilling at the same time

I totally agree the more calls the better and use what is working.

I generally use two different bugles: the ancient Chinese secret, and the other ancient Chinese secret. My favorite cow call is the simple primos hyperlip single but if it is raining it is nice to have a mouth call because they still work when wet.

Mac7 --now you've got me wondering what the thunder bugle is.

The thunder bugle is from Glenn Berry. Berry Best game calls. He's the one that makes the sleazy cow call. Have had great luck with that thing as well.

For a grunt tube I just cut up a wiffle ball bat and wrapped it in camo. Best $5 grunt tube a guy can buy

Baerman, everybody knows if you don't have a $30 grunt tube your just a poser.:)

Bugling Bull reeds, I like the brown one to bugle through my $5 wiffle bat and the yellow "Mello Yellow Mama" for cow calling. My Hoochie Mama has called several bulls in as well and I like to use that when I'm pretending to be multiple ek. The Hyper Lip single is usually in my pack. I like to use it without the tone converter as a locator call.

Back