Elk Caliber and Bullet Choice - 2024

@Sheltowee My rifle shoots both bullets well, but the 185 gr. likes near maxs loads around 2800 fps. and the 210 gr. shoots best at a mid-range load going around 2500 fps. So I have gone with the 185's. I'm sure the 210's would work just fine and takes advantage of the 338 diameter bullets a bit better.
I'm getting a touch under 2700 with the 210s on top of a charge of H4350 out of my 22" Lilja-barreled Tikka but I think I could scare 2900 with the 185s.

Here it is.20240305_190550.jpg
The bullet.
20240305_191317.jpg
Loaded. A lot of research and in the field testing has been done. Powder is TOTALLY proprietary. As us bullet diameter. Don't ask. There is virtually ZERO recoil with the 350 grain bullet. Barrel length is insignificant to performance with this cartridge.No suppressor either. You literally can't hear the report. The stock itself aligns the shooter with the scope (another proprietary component that has been dropped a lot) the bullet, the bore, the action and the stars. Velocities for now are TOP secret. BC can't be measured as of yet. No tech exists yet to figure it out and the super rebated boat tail profile is a big part of that. Copper or lead, don't matter with this bullet. It might tumble, it might not. Check your twist. Twice. mtmuley

Here it is.View attachment 318090
The bullet.
View attachment 318091
Loaded. A lot of research and in the field testing has been done. Powder is TOTALLY proprietary. As us bullet diameter. Don't ask. There is virtually ZERO recoil with the 350 grain bullet. Barrel length is insignificant to performance with this cartridge.No suppressor either. You literally can't hear the report. The stock itself aligns the shooter with the scope (another proprietary component that has been dropped a lot) the bullet, the bore, the action and the stars. Velocities for now are TOP secret. BC can't be measured as of yet. No tech exists yet to figure it out and the super rebated boat tail profile is a big part of that. Copper or lead, don't matter with this bullet. It might tumble, it might not. Check your twist. Twice. mtmuley
Long range bro!
Make sure and check that the bullet cleared the barrel between shots.

The bullet.
View attachment 318091
I think if you get within a reasonable distance that could work. You might need a rock though too.

The bullet.
View attachment 318091
If you load it the other way you’ll have more powder capacity. Also the tip will set off the primer when you slam the bolt shut which helps with follow up shots.

I think threads like this has led the rokslide guys to shoot animals with a .223. Hell I might use a .204 this year.

The bullet.
View attachment 318091
How’s the penetration?

The bullet.
View attachment 318091
Ah, yet another that ain’t for everyone.

If you load it the other way you’ll have more powder capacity. Also the tip will set off the primer when you slam the bolt shut which helps with follow up shots.
Powder is top secret. As are velocities. I was going to go 6.5 or 6 but you can't get a 350 grain bullet to work. Like I said, no BC available yet. mtmuley

223. I know of a mule deer buck taken with 204 with a 35 grain Berger.
That takes some confidence, and a calm day imo.
[/QUOTE]

Dumb rutting up mule deer buck that the guy missed a handful of times with his 6mm after he dropped it. Won’t mention the scope brand as people will get their panties in a bunch. Handed him my 204 and said put it on his neck. 300 yards and he hits it directly in the chest. Buck stumbled probably 30 yards and fell over.

That takes some confidence, and a calm day imo.

Dumb rutting up mule deer buck that the guy missed a handful of times with his 6mm after he dropped it. Won’t mention the scope brand as people will get their panties in a bunch. Handed him my 204 and said put it on his neck. 300 yards and he hits it directly in the chest. Buck stumbled probably 30 yards and fell over.
[/QUOTE]
I've shot coyotes in the chest with them and had them make it 50 yards lol. Go figure. 32 grain vmax. Switched to 40 grains and haven't had them go more than a leap or a spin. Might be coincidence.

I've shot coyotes in the chest with them and had them make it 50 yards lol. Go figure. 32 grain vmax. Switched to 40 grains and haven't had them go more than a leap or a spin. Might be coincidence.
[/QUOTE]

Have you tied the 35 grain Berger? Probably the best fur bullet for 204 followed by 40 grain Berger or 39 grain blitzking.

Have you tied the 35 grain Berger? Probably the best fur bullet for 204 followed by 40 grain Berger or 39 grain blitzking.
[/QUOTE]
No. Have been slacking on coyotes the last couple years. Will probably get back into it. The oldest is showing signs of wanting to blast anything and everything that walks.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back