Elk Caliber and Bullet Choice - 2024

That Form guy seems to know what he’s talking about, at least when it comes to shooting and functional accuracy, but the cult like worship goes a bit far.
Not discounting his knowledge at all. But he really defends the small cartridge aspect no matter what. I read a bullet test thread where he defended a bullet that performed poorly because the gel block was reused. He used to post here. Bigger fan base over there maybe. mtmuley

Although I don’t own that many guns, sometimes I still feel like I own too many and want to simplify things. I saved up and bought this Weatherby Vanguard .30-06 when I was a kid as my first real big game rifle. It killed my first elk, I almost shot a grizzly with it, and I have a lot of fond memories with it. I spruced it up a few years ago with a B&C stock and I’m going to hunt with it more often, especially backpacking for elk in the timber. It is not trendy or Rokslide approved with a 6x36 Leupold and 180 grain old fashioned Sierra Gamekings at a little over 2800.

IMG_8612.jpeg

Last edited:
This will be my first time for an Elk/Mule deer hunt. I’m bringing a 7mm RM and a 30-06. I have 168gr Bergers and 160gr AB worked up for the 7mm. The ‘06 likes 165 TTSX, 165 AB, and 165 partitions…at 200yds it prints Mickey Mouse heads with all of them….so undecided.
BTW…certainly not gonna ask about anyone’s “honey hole”, but if someone who has knowledge about GMU 444 in CO, I have questions about access to areas. Please IM me if you like.

My SIL killed a nice 5pt Bull ,a few years back, using the HSM ammo 7mm RM/168 Berger. He had bought a used Tikka T3 Lite from a local guy because it was so lightweight. At that time, he and a friend would drop down in this huge but God-Awful deep canyon for elk. He got a pass through heart/lung shot around 250yds. That's only one example, but it worked. Many more guys seem to favor that 160 AB. Myself, I've killed more game with Barnes and NBTs than anything else, but they are not the only tool in the box! Have fun, don't get discouraged when you get tired/wet, that Bull could jump out when you least expect it! :)

Looks like a fantastic rifle to me! It is more than sufficient and obviously has a ton of sentimential value for you. Whats really important? The hunt is what's important, moreso than what you carry or even what you kill. Best of luck to you sir.
I'll be carrying a bow for two or 3 weeks. A really nice bow but I'm 74 and bought it because it is a lightweight compound with basic sights. I honestly don't have real expecations of killing anything but if some unlucky creature blocks my arrow then that's great! But I go for the hunt, the beauty of the country and what it does for me to reingage with Nature for a couple weeks in my tent. I just LOVE hearing the Elk bugle!

Looks like a fantastic rifle to me! It is more than sufficient and obviously has a ton of sentimential value for you. Whats really important? The hunt is what's important, moreso than what you carry or even what you kill. Best of luck to you sir.
I'll be carrying a bow for two or 3 weeks. A really nice bow but I'm 74 and bought it because it is a lightweight compound with basic sights. I honestly don't have real expecations of killing anything but if some unlucky creature blocks my arrow then that's great! But I go for the hunt, the beauty of the country and what it does for me to reingage with Nature for a couple weeks in my tent. I just LOVE hearing the Elk bugle!
I’d make sure to have 1or 2 judo tips on hand. I’m learning that those grouse make for a nice and tasty side show while chasing the bigger game.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back