Elk Caliber and Bullet Choice - 2024

Although I don’t own that many guns, sometimes I still feel like I own too many and want to simplify things. I saved up and bought this Weatherby Vanguard .30-06 when I was a kid as my first real big game rifle. It killed my first elk, I almost shot a grizzly with it, and I have a lot of fond memories with it. I spruced it up a few years ago with a B&C stock and I’m going to hunt with it more often, especially backpacking for elk in the timber. It is not trendy or Rokslide approved with a 6x36 Leupold and 180 grain old fashioned Sierra Gamekings at a little over 2800.

View attachment 321413
I am with you. HOWA 1500 (basically a Vanguard action) in 30-06 with a B&C stock. Ain't a thing wrong with that at all.

HOWA 30-06_Scope.jpg

The one everybody says the barrel is too long, it has too much recoil, it burns too much powder, it has too much muzzle blast and blah, blah, blah. mtmuley
Why in the hell do you need to shoot such a cannon? Don't you know you can kill a charging brown bear with a 22 mag revolver and kill any animal that walks the earth with a .223. I mean no need to submit yourself to that abuse......lol

I haven't read all the posts from page one, but it seems to me that most here are shooting pretty stiff rounds; heavy 30 caliber magnums and bigger. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most arn't shooting a .270 or 6.5 CM, right? Ive only killed 1 elk, try not to attack me. I'd maintain that elk ain't deer. You can kill a deer, even a big deer (say 180lbs and less filed dressed), with say a 5.56/.223. Correct me if I'm wrong, elk ain't deer. They have incredible stamina, strength and will to live. And I saw some elk that were the size of a Belgian work horse; 1200-1500lbs. They were the size of my stout 16-hand quarter horse. I killed my elk with 7mm RM and am still amazed it took 4 shots at 105 yards to take him down. I never want to have to track an animal for a long way, or lose one. Have done plenty of tracking of bow and gun shot deer. Should know soon if I got my tag for the Fall, but Ive decided to upgrade to a .300 WM or the .338 WM.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back