Easy Backpacking Meals On A Budget

Mountain House sold via Costco. Seems to fill the bill every time.

It's the Top Ramen of the backcountry. Only difference, I'm not desperately searching for alternative disgustingly cheap additions to make Ramen something else.

Hell, Mountain House is simple as heck, tastes good, and ljghtweight... what's not to like? No need to answer, it's the internet. Bound to be the MH haters. Haha! All good.

Kara's choice? Some movie jib play...? Heck, Heather's choice is an alt though wouldn't say it's cheap...

@neffa3 , Mountain House party pooper.

Taste test by my personally selected testers will prove with 100% certainty that Mountain House packs more lustfilled flavor than that... CISCO knock off, general brand garbageola!

Oh and to be as fair as the definition of blind is, these testers will be laired reviewed.

Oh any naysayers are wrong... "Trust me".

I'm taking a ton of MH into the alpine this trip. Some Heather's Choice, too.

The problem with MH is not so much the price, which is high, it's the colon blockage. You could end up blind popping a blood vessel from straining too much.

Which makes me wonder what a MH party pooper looks like. Do they have broken blood vessels in their eyes?

I now see. The video flic pic (for me) didn't show the Newberg marque. And thus... I didn't watch it. Figured you @neffa3 were sharing some wild YouTube to support why MH isn't the gold standard of one of the least expensive backcountry prepped food. Besides, bulk Costco!

For Kara and Marcus's frequency - sounds as though it not only save huge $ though becomes an intricately involved part of their treks! For me, it's buy the box, and pack the needed. Off and gone.

I conceed, boot from mouth. Winner hands down - nice job, Kara and Marcus! With your backcountry frequency, you've shown a great path and great creative methods to spin food!

BTW, be sure to go to the actual YouTube website to watch the video so you may add a good Thumbs Up.
You two made that a really fun video to keep an audience attached. Nice job!

h ttps://youtu.be/HCgUYTVJhfE

Remove the space between h ttp at the beginning to go to the actual YouTube video.

The world needs more backpacking food options. I'm not a MH hater, just a big boy who needs energy. At 500 calories a meal for MH or most backpacking meals, I'd need to eat 5 or 6 a day, at 9 bucks a meal, that gets expensive

I like the knor noodles and I also like the flavored Idaho instant potatoes. I know it’s not for everyone but I also like tuna packs. I eat one every day for lunch when I’m hunting. They are light and have good fat and calories. I also eat almonds and Mike and Ike’s every day! Last year I had a bunch of the heathers choice packaroons and liked those a lot. But at 3.00 apiece they aren’t cheap. I might try making some on my own.

to add calories I carry a stick of butter or evoo to add to noodles and anything else. There is a big difference between eating calories to eat calories and eating good calories that will fuel you on a backcountry trip. One must understand that they are going to have calorie deficit while they are doing such grueling activities day in and day out for a week or longer.

boxes of kraft mac and cheese (or better yet, kroger), olive oil, and hot dogs

there's the thousands of cals needed on a budget

MH is yummy, but i agree - for a meal that's supposed to be for rather high intesnity backcountry activities it's pitiful on the calorie count, even worse on the calories per dollar

Mac and cheese is pretty easy to make using either powdered ingredients or dehydrating your own. I even just use the mini shells and cheese (velveta kind)...the noodles cook really quick and you can even let them soak in the hot water to save fuel.

One thing I've learned is adding dehydrated pulled pork to anything carb based like mac & cheese, instant potatoes, Knorr noodles is a must. Shred the meat real fine and dehydrate the hell out of it. Makes a good jerky chew too...put a a dip in and keep going :LOL:

Get yourself a really good vacuum sealer that can do double seals and some high quality mylar bags and oxygen absorbers and you're set.

Honestly I'm about this close 🤏 to buying a freeze drying machine and going ballistic with my own meals. If I didn't have to fork out a bunch of $ for a new woodstove I would have one already.

One thing I've learned is adding dehydrated pulled pork
Now that's a cool idea! I can see that with fine shredded corned beef, etc.

"Kara's Creations" sell pouches of typical base bulk and smaller packets such as Mthuntr mentioned. That would be a great REI backcountry food selection! Haha! Marcus, you can place your name somewhere on the packet though some reason "Kara's Creations" just fits! ;)
figure an average $9 creation based on simple packets, peas, carrots, BACON, etc... The main base bulk pouch has an accessory zip pouch for the additional intended ingredients, so people can see their creations as they select.

I might even look beyond simply throwing a few packs in and calling it - off to the mountains. Knowing it was the two of your sold in such fashion... I would certainly make it a new groove!

I see a marketing scheme here! :)

...squirrel...!!LOL

"colon blockage" too funny, c'mon man you've never heard of Miralax, Metamucil or Dulcolax? it's a must in my back country meal plan!

...squirrel...!!LOL

"colon blockage" too funny, c'mon man you've never heard of Miralax, Metamucil or Dulcolax? it's a must in my back country meal plan!
Dried apricots are the "concentrated" form of all of those. They are no longer allowed in my pack.

I like the knor noodles and I also like the flavored Idaho instant potatoes. I know it’s not for everyone but I also like tuna packs. I eat one every day for lunch when I’m hunting. They are light and have good fat and calories. I also eat almonds and Mike and Ike’s every day! Last year I had a bunch of the heathers choice packaroons and liked those a lot. But at 3.00 apiece they aren’t cheap. I might try making some on my own.

to add calories I carry a stick of butter or evoo to add to noodles and anything else. There is a big difference between eating calories to eat calories and eating good calories that will fuel you on a backcountry trip. One must understand that they are going to have calorie deficit while they are doing such grueling activities day in and day out for a week or longer.
Yep, tuna packs are the way to go. Lots of protein. And they come in different flavors so you can mix it up.

Several years back, one of my sons talked me into going on an unlimited sheep hunt with him. The first day we backpacked in about 16 miles, gained 4,000 feet. We stopped to eat MH meals. I did not feel good at all afterwards, the rest of the day. Now I know it was probably altitude sickness and not the meal, but I still have yet to eat a MH meal since. Funny how your mind works, just ignoring logic. Since then I've been using alternatives like instant potatoes, knorr packages, salmon and tuna packages. It all works, but the MH is more simple.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back