Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

East Idaho fire tags

Sounds like a very reasonable approach. I just don't see any results that benefit mule deer. It seem that we are doing step one -bunch grass step two - depredation hunts. Then moving on to the next big fire scar. Leaving an ecosystem that is very hard for deer to survive.
My example of the Bennett hills. You may be familiar but I'll act as if you are not. I have spent a lot of time on those hills. I actually shot my first big game animal there 20 years ago, a little yearling doe.
Most of the deer from hunt units 43, 44, 45, 48, and some from 39, and 36 winter on the Bennett hills.
The wintering ground is desert and at 3200' - 5000'
It was predominantly sage with one of the most diverse mixes of forbs and shrubs that I have found in southern Idaho. As far as I can tell we had been very lucky avoiding fires on the Bennett hills up until 7-8 years ago. We have had a couple of fires go through in the worst areas they could have. I have been watching the last few years and my observations don't reflect a net gain for mule deer yet or give me hope for one in the future.

First the bunch grass seeding was affective in some areas(my guess is where they were able to seed before the first winter)but cheat and foxtail have taken over some large portions of the burns.
The problem is I see very little new forb growth in the burn the only thing I find is a few small pockets that didn't burn and the areas f&g/local sportsman have planted. It's a drop in the bucket. For the most part it's a sea of yellow grass and rock. With some large patches of thistle and other weeds being spread by illegal use and livestock.
Not exactly good for mule deer.

Lots of rampant ATV use despite it being completely closed for years after. Right after the fire people were griding out the chared ground and coming out with truck loads of burnt antlers. The w.s.a now has more ATV trails than before it was a w.s.a. despite the total area closure.
Not exactly good for mule deer.

If&g has taken 3000+ extra doe's off of this wintering ground sence the first fire. While continuing to have youth either sex hunts in the units where these deer summer. The hunting in the above-mentioned units(other than 39- part of herd, 44-draw only) has really suffered.
Not good for mule deer.

The cows are starting to come back in full force. Thanks to the bunch grass.
Not good for mule deer.

The elk are loving the large amounts of Grazing available and doing better than ever. The extra elk hunts are needed imo.
Not good for mule deer.

While this is only a snapshot in time and things may very well start looking up. I have been watching and waiting, I'm not seeing it.

I'm currently seeing the exact same cycle in the two-year-old 500 square mile soda fire burn scar that surrounds my home. Some excellent mule deer habitat with excellent vegetation has almost completely been planted to a sea of yellow grass. I was asking the other day and as far as anyone can tell me there's been a total of 60 of the 300,000 acres of brush/forbs that have been reseeded/planted.

Obviously these are two different areas with two different challenges but I must say I'm not liking the current track record. What the political environment the way it currently is and Congress and the Senate purposely defunding the BLM and Idaho Fish and Game I understand it's a situation of tied hands and not one of ill intentions.

I was in 52a just a few weeks ago and it had a large burn this year,probly about 10x25 sq miles,,i was surprized to see many square miles of burn getting replanted by several large tractors with 50' seeders on them,,looked like a big job for as far as the eye could see. probly will take a while to do but im sure that will help it regrow nice in a couple of years,

I was in 52a just a few weeks ago and it had a large burn this year,probly about 10x25 sq miles,,i was surprized to see many square miles of burn getting replanted by several large tractors with 50' seeders on them,,looked like a big job for as far as the eye could see. probly will take a while to do but im sure that will help it regrow nice in a couple of years,

I cannot imagine what the maintenance is when you are pulling 3 drills over lava rock all day.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back