NEW SITKA Ambient 75

ear protection

gman1

Need the groups help on what kind of ear protection should I purchase for hunting?
Thanks for your assistance.
Gman1

hey gman, i've been using surefire's the last few years; they're comfortable, onlything is you need to keep your ears clean and the plugs clean from wax otherwise they wont be protecting 100%--more so while moving around alot; while deer hunting, i keep them in loose and when I see a deer, I push them in and get ready

I've started using the foam plugs with the string. Keep around my neck. When antelope hunting the last couple days, I've had one in my left ear when trying to stalk and the right ear open to hear my surroundings. Put the right one in if I have a moment to shoot

I think some electronic ones are on the list for my christmas present to myself as my tinnitus is getting worse and at 37 years old I can't afford to let it.

I've heard rumors that if you go to a audiologist you can get a prescription for ear protection, therefore getting a break from your health insurance and using your HSA to pay for it; not sure if this is true or not. I also have tinnitus and dont want it to get worse...

I've never used any hunting, but probably would if I did any bird hunting where there was a lot of shooting. Always wear ear protection for practice shooting, chain saw, weed eater, blower, mowers and tractor work.

Check out Grizzly Ears. I've been using them this year and am really liking them.

I don’t use ear pro when hunting but if I did I’d choose Radians custom molded ear plugs. I use them and muffs at the range. Got ‘em from Amazon for about $10 I think.

They supported our local Ronald McDonald House charity sporting clays shoot by sending a pile of mechandice for us to put in our silent auction. Good people.

I've never used any hunting, but probably would if I did any bird hunting where there was a lot of shooting. Always wear ear protection for practice shooting, chain saw, weed eater, blower, mowers and tractor work.
I need to find my Peltier ear muffs.....for riding with Rio in the truck. They saved my ears in the woodshop and working outdoors with powertools. Use a helmet w/ear cover chainsawing.
Wore ear protection in service & at range but never hunting. Been using foam but they fall out at times or if string catches on something.

I generally don't use any depending on the type of hunt. but when I do i second the surefires!

I use a set of Westone passive ones. They have some kind of baffle system in them that is good for an occasional shot but not repetitive like at the range. I can hear pretty much normal with them in unless it gets windy then I need to pull my stocking hat over them to block the wind. I got them through my audiologist and used HSA money to purchase them. They were around $150. Best money I've spent.

I've been using the Howard Leight noise canceling / sound amplifying muffs for a couple years ear. Only draw back to them is they are not comfortable in hot weather, and can be slightly uncomfortable if wearing them all day long. I recently bough the surefires. A lot of people like them, but I wasn't a fan of them. Maybe didn't fit right, but I found them to be uncomfortable, and my ears would still ring from shooting. This weekend I plan to go back to the muffs

Going to look into some of the higher end ones mentioned above. My hearing keeps getting worse and need to protect what I got.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back