Caribou Gear Tarp

Dropped Project Alaska

That last episode was a really good one.

Great camera work to get the shot over his shoulders as he took that last shot at the moose.

Not seeing many of the previous shows, I was wondering how 2 guys (and a couple Camera men) can eat a whole caribou in 18 days? Are caribou that small?

I thought that was a lot of meat to eat in a short amount of time too, but I guess if you were eating it for breakfast, lunch and dinner it would go a bit faster. I can't remember which day they shot the caribou, but 18 days X 2 people = 36 days. Assuming they ate 16oz of meat at each meal that would be 72lbs. With the camera crew eating some of it I guess they potentially could have eaten it all. Hopefully they won't get scurvy or something eating nothing but meat for a month.

The last show was much better than the previous 4 or 5. My sons were beside themselves that they didn't shoot the second moose. I've shot two elk at once, I can't imagine tackling two moose at once.

I missed last nights episode. How big did the bull end up? It looked like a hoss to me.

Meat spoilage, or afraid of rule number 3?

Randy,
I have to agree, there are times when they seem to be putting on the "production" for the value of entertainment. Both times they have hunted, I think you get the true value of the show and their hunters. The scenery is absolutely beautiful. As a hunter who dreams of going to Alaska, I can defiintely appreciate that. I also thought it was quite unrealistic to try to live off the land of Alaska, but one thing that made me think the opposite was the trappers cabin(not sure if you saw that episode). There were/have/could still be people doing just that, and even in harsher conditions. I have my doubts that these two flat landers(no offense) are doing just that though. And I have to agree with earlier posts that if you were living off the land, then you would not let that moose bed down and not go after him. The other part that makes me believe that, is that they would not have left Caribou camp without two 'bou. If you are looking for the average 'killing', I mean hunting show. This is probably not for you.

I too enjoy this show for its non-typical "boxed" private game farm hunting, and will continue watching.

One more thing, am I just being jealous, or are they depicting Chris as more lazy? And more whiny? And hence he drives me nuts. Casey seems much more down to earth and a likable guy. Chris seems like the hunts should always be his and handed to him... I don't know. Probably just jealousy!

I know if it was me with a bow in hand and a legal bull within my comfortable distance I would have shot. They gotta do something for that bow sponsor! Hunting is one of those things, you just never know when it is going to happen and passing a perfect bow shot on a nice legal bull, even though they just put one down, would have been tough to do. Put those camera guys to work. Not like they had far to pack it out.

I wonder if they had a meat pick up run from the transporter? I couldn't imagine all that gear plus over 1000 pounds of moose meat on a raft...For an additional 8 days!

I cancelled my DVR of this show after the lawn chair incident, but accidentally caught the Moose in camp episode the other day. I really enjoyed the episode, especially getting the younger bull to cross the river and then passing on him in close proximity. That was an excellent episode.

I just wasted another 5 minutes of my life on this show. Haven't watched a second since the 3rd episode, and I just can't believe how awful this show is. There is zero content, absolutely none. They floated down a river, shot a caribou, sat by the fire, and 2 moose walked into their camp. Wow, Heimo Korth would be impressed...

Oh God it was so funny that they shot a moose in the river and then let it drift out of sight.

They seemed lazy to me. They did two or so hikes for caribou and then spent the rest of their time within sight of camps.

I was so bored I actually watched most episodes and believe me it was only due to boredom as I knew it was bad, They call moose from camp, god forbid they go looking for one. This last 2 hour special was almost the worst. David Blanton is an idiot ! I actually had to turn off the last hour.

The last episode was almost all talking, no hunting hardly at all and no scouting or looking for game away from camp.

Maybe this is how you hunt Alaska as I have never done it and it seemed to work for them, but sure makes for poor tv in my opinion. The real bad part is they say there is another one coming. :(

Wow, I watched the Gopher Washington BBall game and recorded the last episode. I might as well just delete that deal. The potential was there for a very good show. Execution was not as good. I think Randy and Bart should have went instead;)

Oh God it was so funny that they shot a moose in the river and then let it drift out of sight.

They seemed lazy to me. They did two or so hikes for caribou and then spent the rest of their time within sight of camps.

Let it drift out of site? What were they supposed to do?

Not sure they hit it as hard as most would have, but its hard to say. The show was 75% commercials and 25% content.

Why go looking for a moose when the odds of one being in camp are just as good? Its not like they had to worry about pressure from other hunters, and the majority of the moose are going to be on the river anyway. Why stomp around and spread your scent all over the place? They could be anywhere at any time.

All told I think they did pretty well with a B&C bull,and another that was darn close to P&Y if it wasn't.

Was it pure luck? Sure, hunting is all about luck. I wouldn't kill 99% of the animals I've taken without it. Could they have done better if they were out stomping around rather than staying in camp? Hard to say. But I'll bet they wouldn't have killed either of those bulls if they were 2 miles away 'hunting'.

I think they over played the drama a bit, but not much considering none of them had ever been to Alaska on a hunt. Look at how much elk hunting stories are over played on the boards here. ;)

One thing is for sure, it will be intersting to see how Randy's hunt plays out. I have a feeling the OYOA crew will be hunting in a similar fashion, but with a touch more class? I'm sure the drama will be at a similar level. :D

Last edited:

The animal died in water shallow enough that they could have walked out to it and secured it. Instead, they watched it drift away with binoculars.

We must have watched two different shows. If you think these guys are great hunters by sitting around a campfire and hoping a moose will come to their calls, we have different standards.

What makes a great hunter? I'm guessing you have a bunch of B&C animals hanging on your wall?

I guess we watched 2 differnt shows, because it looked to me like the moose was rolling down the river pretty fast after it went down. Pretty easy to be an armchair QB, neither of us were there.

Last edited:

The animal died in water shallow enough that they could have walked out to it and secured it. Instead, they watched it drift away with binoculars.

We must have watched two different shows. If you think these guys are great hunters by sitting around a campfire and hoping a moose will come to their calls, we have different standards.

Secured it with what? they would of had to run back to camp to grab rope, and by then it would of been down stream, or wait, did you want them to wade out to a 1500lb moose that was still kicking in knee deep water and latch on to its antlers with there hands and hope they didnt get swept down stream with it? Im sure a full grown moose doesnt have much momentum behind it in a river and that would of a been a brilliant idea in the bush. Rightttttt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back