Yeti GOBOX Collection

Dreaming of Spring Bears

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Now that most season are over, my mind rolls into "spring bear mode." And for me, that means Alaska and Montana.

Below is a link to the final episode of Season One of Fresh Tracks, where you can watch it on CarbonTV. It is a black bear hunt in a remote place of Southeast Alaska. Probably my favorite bear episode we have ever done. In large part due to all we overcame to actually produce the show.

This hunt was in May of 2013. Now that self-guided NRs have to draw tags in these areas of SE AK, I was not lucky enough to have drawn this tag last year. But, I drew it for this upcoming year. This time, if the world of work does not have him tied down, Lawnboy has the tag and will be coming with us. There are plenty of bears around for us to find two good ones for TV.

IMG_0964.JPG

http://www.carbontv.com/videos/JucD...0Ny01ZWYzLTExZTQtOTE5Ni0zYjlmODlmNzM5NjgifQ==

If you want to read the day-by-day account of this hunt, here is the link of where we put it on Hunt Talk.

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=254916

Hope you get out bear hunting this spring. One of the most pleasurable times to be in the hills and chasing bears. Maybe someday I will get struck with the turkey bug, but so long as there is spring bear hunting, the turkeys will probably have to wait.

Unfortunately for those who missed it, the deadline for self-guided NRs to apply for these AK bear permits was December 15th. If you missed it this year, make sure and get it on your calendar for next year.

Were you able to get the meat and hide back easily?

Yup. Easily, but not without some serious dough to Alaska Airlines. On our trips there and back, with all of our production gear, raft, camp gear, rifles, etc. the cost of additional freight charges is usually $600-900, each way. Final cost depends upon what we have for gear and hopefully dead animals. Or, about $200-$300 per person when we have three guys.

Was in POW this past sept.No shortage of bears to shoot.I could have taken 5 and I wasn't even looking for bear.Saw a few big ones too.Good luck,I'm hoping to go back in August for deer

Alaska, probably POW, is on my shortlist. Looks like I'll be giving Montana another go this May.

Deer season goes for a couple more weeks here, but I've already been scheming bears with my cohort...

And I thought this might be the year you headed to NW Montana for a change of scenery! :) Best of luck to you and the Lawn Boy.

Unfortunately I'll just be scouting this spring. I'm planning my first drop camp style hunt for bear and deer in the white mountains of New Hampshire for this fall. I'll be in the area this April fishing, hiking, and just getting acclimated to the area I plan to hunt in November. Crazy excited and anxious!

My thoughts have certainly turned to the upcoming spring bear season. One of my favorite hunts any more!

In case anybody is interested the deadline to apply here in Oregon is February 10th. We have some great spring bear hunts that can be drawn with little or no points.

I can draw any Bear tag we have up here but not sure i want to. The wife isn't thrilled about bear meat and if we don't eat it I won't kill it.
Guys have told me "leave the meat, keep the fat" and others say it's great. Pretty much the same as Antelope and I know my Antelope is darn good. Anything special need to be dome other than get it taken care of and cooled quick like all our other game meat?

So the 2015 season starts with black bear. How does the rest of the white board look?

That is cool big Finn I was just thinking of that today. I may be in Mt come spring What do ta think CUSHMAN ? Our WV season still has until the end of the year. Still have a tag and one lurking around. I may have to show him how to do a Howa handshake

So the 2015 season starts with black bear. How does the rest of the white board look?

White, at this time. It has some standard OTC tags such as MT deer & elk; CO elk and given my points, probably deer; ID general deer this year, if I don't draw a special tag; and probably archery deer in UT.

Other than that, a lot of moving parts at this point.

I'm already looking forward to the play-by-play of your upcoming bear hunt, best of luck to you and Bart. Watching your hunts and reading your hunt threads got me interested in spring bear, I've been applying here in WA now for 3 years, so hopefully getting close to a tag.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back