MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Dog self Vet

RobertR

Over the years I have sewed up several of my dogs that have got cut and needed stitches. Yesterday was no different when my lab cut his foot deep and neeed stitching up. It's the weekend the nearest vet is miles away and most likely not available. Out of suture needles and the proper thread I had to use a sewing needle and 4lb mono. With nothing to num the wound area it was intense getting the needle poked throughthe skin to make the stitches needed to close the cut. In the past I have used numzit or ice to num the wound area.
What do you guys use in the field if your dog gets cut and needs stitches?

Last edited:
I used superglue in the past, after reading an article in one of the Texas hunting mags years ago. I keep it in my kit. A vet told me dont seal the whole wound when it is deep, just make stripes across it like you would stitches. BTW, Hydrogen Peroxide removes superglue. Found that out when cleaning the first superglue dog stitches.

Dermabond is the superglue version with antimicrobials in it and you can cover the surface, but not recommended for deep cuts.

With a pack of hounds, there always seems to be someone needing stiches.
I use a stapler, its easy to carry and a lot easier to put in.
Clean the wound, trim any jagged edges and make sure the wound can drain and they will heal up fine.
I also carry some happy pills for the hounds that will slow them down enough to work on them. Not sure the name of the pills, I get them from the vet to calm one of them down for 4th, she doesn't like the fireworks.
Also its a little easier to work on them a few hours after the cut, as wound clots up and for the most part you won't have blood to work around.

Back