Doe tags = $ = < bucks

muleguy

From BowHunter Magazine-

Over the past several years, as I’ve traveled to hunt deer across the heart of whitetail country, I’ve noticed two trends. One, hunters are complaining about too few deer in their state. And two, it seems some states have been intoxicated by the sale of antlerless tags.

In my opinion, the latter is the primary reason for the former. Yes, there were other factors like some winterkill in the Northern Plains and outbreaks of epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD), but the primary reason for reduced deer numbers is the widespread issuance of too many antlerless tags for too many years.

In my home state of North Dakota, deer hunter success rates (for rifle hunters) have plummeted from the customary 70 to 80 percent to around 50 percent. Less than a decade ago, when deer numbers were high, the Game and Fish Department started handing out doe tags like they were giving candy to kids during a parade. And they kept doing it. Finding a deer in my area is now a major challenge and winterkill had little to do with it.

North Dakota wasn’t alone. Not long ago, Minnesota deer hunters could shoot up to five does apiece. Now deer numbers are so low that parties of gun hunters that typically fill out are going two-for-ten. I bowhunt in Minnesota and never saw anything that would even remotely justify five doe tags per hunter.

During a hunt in Missouri several years ago discovered I could buy unlimited doe tags for $7 each! I thought, Great, there must be so many deer I’ll get trampled! I hunted the entire week and never had a shot opportunity at a doe. Maybe I’m a poor hunter but I certainly saw no evidence of an overpopulation of deer. Not even close.

When the biology warrants, every hunter needs to do their part in managing deer herds by taking a doe. But have we gone too far for too long?
In recent years, Iowa has forced nonresidents to purchase a doe tag along with their license. Hunters with no intention of taking a doe were forced to spend money (oops, there’s that word) on an antlerless tag. Must be too many deer, right? Not really. Now Iowa hunters are complaining there aren’t enough deer. You can hear similar stories in Kansas, Illinois, Nebraska and even Indiana where hunters can take up to 8 does in some counties!

In defense of state wildlife agencies, they have a difficult job. Deer population surveys are educated estimates and trends can be slow to present themselves. Wildlife managers also have to consider the carrying capacity of the land, the tolerance level of landowners, and other interests such as insurance companies concerned about deer/vehicle collisions, and even timber companies worried about too many deer damaging young trees.

Some say it’s all about the revenue generated by the sale of antlerless licenses. I suppose that could be true in some states. But where I have a problem is in the setting of population goals. Who says we have too many deer? Do insurance companies really have the influence that some allege? If they do, no one will admit it. Should they have influence? No.

State wildlife agencies need to remember where their wages come from. Without hunters and anglers there are no game and fish departments. No stakeholders. If deer numbers crash, deer hunter numbers will follow. Once a hunter quits, he’s likely gone forever.

Obviously, every region is different. Are there really too many deer in your area or has the doe population been over-hunted in recent years? What’s happening with the deer herd in your neck of the woods?

Common theme in my current neck of the woods (or lack thereof) is that the deer numbers are down quite a bit. They've definitely had a rough go of it the past few years especially. I'm new to the area so I have nothing to compare to.

There is quite a bit of hunting pressure around this area as well. I'm all for the proposed changes in our area.

N Dakota way over did it on doe tags. I came here 3 years ago from Arizona and when I got here I thought there whould be a ton of deer. I see em here and there , but not much. They had 3 bad winters ending rite when I got here. I am seeing less now than ever. Why the hell are they even giving out doe tags at all? I drive truck in the oil field and even private land where I was seeing good #'s I am not now. And I work nites when they are out. I see more in town here in Minot than any where. With this winter being cold I don't know how they live. -60 wind chill rite now for 3-4 days. My home state of AZ. quit doe tags 30-40 years ago cause of drought situations and #'s never did rebound, but they haven't gotten worse. How can they not see ahead here. I go a week or 2 without seeing deer where they should be. Sad when it could be avoided. I hope Montana and Wyoming don't wait to long, or I don't even know if You can shoot does there. If predation hunts are needed on or near farms that's ok, but not state wide. They gotta have other ways to make income. Raise Buck tag a little ,Whouldn't bother Me.......BOB!

Last edited:
Doe tags make sense when the carrying capacity of the land is stressed. You need to reduce numbers and lowering does is one way to do so. How do you know if carrying capacity is an issue? Biologists can check the health of the deer headed into winter and then in the spring. Harvested deer can be checked for weight and fat levels. Road kill can be checked for the same.

Another reason to lower deer numbers would be if are a nuisance as is case when too many deer near urban area which results in vehicle damage.

If you had sick deer then might want to lower numbers though nature has a way of managing itself.

I agree with some extent with Nature Bob.. North Dakota mismanaged their herd poorly and gave out 153,000 tags in '08 ( I know this doesn't even touch some other states) but last year, '13 they gave out 49,000. 3 hard winters in a row, the increase of land development, energy production and all the people that follow that also have impacted the herd. Not to mention that the lions started to come back in full force when the deer population was at an all time high. They haven't issued doe tags in the badlands units the last couple of years. From one year the numbers from aerial surveys were dramatically better, than the first that they decided to cut doe tags. The unit (district to you Montanan's) I hunt gave out something like 8 mule deer buck tags.The NDGF is either wrapping up a 5 year study or is in the middle of it on lion affects on deer numbers. I'll be interested to see what the results of that are.

LopeHunter, I also agree with you and the carrying capacity issue. Some years the land is more fertile and cover more abundant, but then tree rows etc. get taken out for farming. How is a deer supposed to live in a flat wheat field its entire life? People don't understand all of the issues that go into trying to manage a herd while also keeping the hunters happy, and the politics that go into changing seasons and dates and regulations can be a nightmare. My hat is off to the biologist's who care and try to manage scientifically. If some years theres low deer, theres low deer.. Its a cycle, they can't stay at record numbers for forever or disease will wipe them out just as easy.

From BowHunter Magazine-

State wildlife agencies need to remember where their wages come from. Without hunters and anglers there are no game and fish departments. No stakeholders. If deer numbers crash, deer hunter numbers will follow. Once a hunter quits, he’s likely gone forever.

This is where I disagree: Being in Iowa I have seen the dramatic decrease in deer numbers. The wages of the wildlife agencies may come from "us", however, it's the politics that rule the day. Insurance companies and you left out the biggest partner... Farm bureau. Less deer means more corn standing. These two entities donate to the politicians and have lobbist's in the government. That's who these politicians that set the rules listen to.

I have heard that last year the Iowa DNR wanted to end the "late rifle season" in southern Iowa and the Governor veto the plan... so we have another late doe season this year.

I wish we were like Arizona where the wildlife rules are based by science and not politics.

That's my rant for today.

good luck to all
the dog

Insurance companies and you left out the biggest partner... Farm bureau. Less deer means more corn standing. These two entities donate to the politicians and have lobbist's in the government.

I don't know about other rural States but Farm Bureau is also a big player in the insurance business here.They weld much power in the State Capital.

I don't know about other rural States but Farm Bureau is also a big player in the insurance business here.They weld much power in the State Capital.

Farm Bureau in MT advocates for test & slaughter of elk, elimination of stream access, elimination of public land & the extermination of bison.

Not really who I want to turn wildlife decisions over too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back