Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Do I have a bad scope or am I pulling?

ElkHunter11

Before I take my gun to a gunsmith for a good lookover, I want to gather thoughts on whether or not my scope is bad, mounted too loose, etc. I'm going to try different ammo this weekend and hopefully that's the case, but figured I would post this now to get the conversation started. Gun is Browning X-Bolt .300 Win Mag and scope is a Zeiss Terra 3x 4-12x42. I have put 60 rounds through the gun so far and I can't seem to get a tight grouping like I usually have on my other rifles. Any advice or comments are greatly appreciated!

100 yards (I want my shots high about 1.5")-
100 Yards.jpg

200 yards (Want 200 to be my zero)-
200 Yards.jpg

Sorry, the first 100 yard picture should be rotated 90 degrees, just can't seem to do it on here.

Attachments

• 100 Yards.jpg
    100 Yards.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 500
I think if your scope was bad or the mounts were loose you'd see much bigger groups all over the place. Take a target out to 200 and report back after shooting 2-3 different types of ammo because it could be your rifle doesn't like that round. Be sure that your rest is steady and that the barrel is free floated.

Okay thanks Mthuntr. I'll test out a couple different boxes and see if they tighten up a bit. Will update on Sunday after some range time. For anyone else with an X-bolt .300 win mag, I was shooting the Federal vital shok trophy copper round in 180 grains. I know each gun is different, but wanted to share regardless.

And set the trigger to the lowest possible weight, which on that rifle will probably get you down to 3.25#. RMEF uses those in their TV show. They sent me the exact set up you have for episodes I did for them. It liked Nosler 180 gr AccuBonds far more than anything else I fed it.

Was that second target shot without any scope adjustments between shots? If so, that's terrible! I'd expect a Browning X bolt to shoot much better. I would try some Winchester Power Points, they are inexpensive but shoot great, at least they do in my Browning A bolt in 270 Win.

Thanks for the recommendation, Randy. I will adjust the trigger pull before the range- I think that will help in any jerking I'm doing, if any. I'll be sure to give the AccuBonds a try, have heard good things about them and have been impressed with their performance on your show.

Washington Hunter- There were adjustments. The bottom 3 were my first shots, then the top 2 and one in the right side orange middle circle. The final 2 were the one on the far left and the one on the far right. Even still, those groupings aren't very impressive out of a rifle that's supposed to be great.

Whew! Okay then. I think there's hope. Probably just the bullet you're shooting, the rifle doesn't like it. Some rifles are finnicky with 100% copper bullets. With a more conventional type of bullet it may do a lot better. Maybe try some lighter bullets too, maybe 150's, just because the recoil will be much less.

Looks like a standard group for a rifle that doesn't like what it's eating.

I'm with Bob on this one. I have seen this on many rifles. Try some different bullets. I'd start with Randy's advice since he has experience with those rifles.

Everything that has been said, another item you can check is your action screws. Being too tight or too loose can open up your groups, the mfg should have torque settings for those.

Honestly, I think it may be what you are feeding it.

Thank you all for the feedback. I'm hoping it's the ammo I was feeding it. I'm going to try out the Winchester Power Point first since these are about $20/box cheaper to see how it shoots before I try out the AccuBond or anything else. I'll update this weekend after I shoot.

Federal Fusions are inexpensive and shoot well in all the rifles I use them in. The exception being my .300 win mag that shoots blue box soft points the best.

I had some issues like this when i first bought my X-Bolt in 30-06, it came with some 'free' warne mounts.
Took my ages before i realised it was the crap mounts, i changed them for Leupold QR mounts and never looked back.
But i wouldn't want to send you on the wrong road!
Best of luck with this frustrating issue.
Cheers
Richard

I had some issues like this when i first bought my X-Bolt in 30-06, it came with some 'free' warne mounts.
Took my ages before i realised it was the crap mounts, i changed them for Leupold QR mounts and never looked back.
But i wouldn't want to send you on the wrong road!
Best of luck with this frustrating issue.
Cheers
Richard

I have Leupold mounts on there right now. But you're right, this is a frustrating issue! I'm crossing my fingers those groups tighten up with some of the advice given here.

For those looking for Nosler Trophy Grade ammo Cabelas has some really good deals right now. Surprisingly good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back