Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

CWD status in Wisconsin

Most you talk to here will say there is not much you can do. I agree. They tried killing the herd, and no one was interested enough to get it done, not to mention that killing every deer in that big of an area is not an easy task.
But just like killing off a lake to destoy carp, if you miss a couple they will just bounce right back. I don't know what the solution is, but killing off every deer in that large of an area is not going to happen

They can kill every deer there today and the prions from CWD will remain in the soil for 25 or more years, infecting any re-introduced deer in that time period. I just read an academic paper, "Enzymatic Digestion of Chronic
Wasting Disease Prions Bound to Soil," from 2010, where they were using a subtilisin enzyme solution as an effective decontamination in prion hot spots. This is difficult to achieve out in wild territories though. They need to stop the bloody game farming.

We as hunters in wisconsin have to stop killing all of our deer, no matter how many tags dnr tries to give out. Im not sure of right solution, but killing off all are deer doesn't make much sence to me. In my area ive seen a huge drop in number's of deer. But i will say i have noticed more big bucks, not sure if its just less stress on bucks now with smaller herd? Or if its do to earn a buck program in past few years.

Have hunted in herd reduction unit past 5 years (59 B ) as well as (57) and have seen more big bucks than ever before. Maybe it's because I've seen a smaller # of fawns at registration stations? Don't know but I like it. Haven't had EAB in either of those units in recent memory.

Soon the CWD will jump the border into MN. Positive deer have been shot within 20 miles of the border.

Billings Gazette

Survey on chronic wasting disease targets hunters, landowners

More than 3,000 Montana hunters and landowners will be surveyed by state wildlife officials to determine their opinions about chronic wasting disease, a rare brain disease that is always fatal in deer, elk and moose...

There's been a few in northern Illinois too. The DNR here holds to the theory that they need to reduce herd numbers. I do not agree with that stance. Ive been out coyote hunting and seen them shooting deer from a chopper and been in the same section as them when they are whacking them with rifles off a bait station. The land owners don't like it, the hunters dont and it hurts the gene pool diversity. What it does do is, decrease the breeding stock of the herd, which should produce bigger bucks down the road. With fewer does to breed, the bucks will have to compete to breed them, with the big boys getting the lions share of that action. We found a 2 1/2 yr old 8 that scored 130+ dead this past winter that had been shot and wounded in their helicopter "thinning". I almost cried when we found him. That deer was going to be something really special in a year or two. Our DNR also did a survey of landowners and hunters on how they feel about CWD and control methods used by the state. This link shows the results. The state just flat ignored how its constituents felt about it.

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/conservation/wildlife/Documents/posters.pdf

Last edited:
The DNR here holds to the theory that they need to reduce herd numbers. I do not agree with that stance. Ive been out coyote hunting and seen them shooting deer from a chopper and been in the same section as them when they are whacking them with rifles off a bait station. The land owners don't like it, the hunters dont and it hurts the gene pool diversity.
I assume they finding enough cooperative landowners to do the thinning? I can't imagine it'd be legal for them to do so on land without the permission of the owner.

I'm betting most of the farmers in this part of the country wouldn't really oppose the "thinning" of the herds (crop damage) I'm assuming its the same in our neighboring state to the West. I hate to see them do it in the way they sometimes do, and honestly don't think it solves the problem.

I'm betting most of the farmers in this part of the country wouldn't really oppose the "thinning" of the herds (crop damage) I'm assuming its the same in our neighboring state to the West. I hate to see them do it in the way they sometimes do, and honestly don't think it solves the problem.
I wouldn't take that bet! Heck, a guy up north has permits to shoot them out of his tree "farm"...

Just curious as diem said the landowners were against the practice, but yet it's still going on. I'm guessing it's due to it not being a consensus.

I wouldn't take that bet! Heck, a guy up north has permits to shoot them out of his tree "farm"...

Just curious as diem said the landowners were against the practice, but yet it's still going on. I'm guessing it's due to it not being a consensus.

1PT, I hear ya...got a guy right here in my county that has the tree "farm" permits also. . .just shoots them and leaves them at anytime with any weapon. . .makes me SICK!!!

Most big landowners around my hunting area are adamantly AGAINST it. One in particular used to lease the archery rights to a guy for $4k/year. The farmer let the DNR come in and whack a bunch of deer and the hunter found out about it and canceled his lease. He now hunts the adjacent farm. Word spread and now most of the farms are all on board with not letting them in. At this time, the DNR does not have to ask permission to come in and start thinning, but if the farm says no, then the DNR has to stay out. That might bring some unwanted attention when hunting season comes along. Even the most law-abiding hunter, the DNR can make it really tough on and will find a way to issue a citation, especially if they get kicked out of a farm.

That's chitty! If I were a landowner, I'd notify them annually via certified mail that they are not welcome. I personally wouldn't fret too much over the citation...

Sounds like the insurance lobby in IL has quite some clout.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back