CPW Commission Meeting Day 1

In regards to the bear item, I wonder if the amount of bears harvested actually changed under the cost reduction. Any data easy for someone to pull up on that? If the result was minimal or not at all, then I'd have to side with the motion that $100ish bucks is way too cheap. Now $800 seems just ridiculous.

In regards to the bear item, I wonder if the amount of bears harvested actually changed under the cost reduction. Any data easy for someone to pull up on that? If the result was minimal or not at all, then I'd have to side with the motion that $100ish bucks is way too cheap. Now $800 seems just ridiculous.
They discussed that today. I think it was 300 additional bears taken when the price dropped.

Honestly, I'm not sure anyone on the commission amazes me.
I've watched many of these meetings and asked myself, how many of these commissioners are advocates for Colorado sportsmen and many times I felt like the answer was none of them. Until we get a republican governor, if we ever do again, this isn't going to change. It's sad that wildlife management policy is at the hands of political appointees who have no biological training or even a basic understanding of how things really work in the wild.

Certainly many members of the commission do not represent hunters. Certainly several members are not fans of hunting.

Obviously, the committee wasn't prepared or ready for the motion, most we confused. Obviously some members didn't care, they were leaning on their believe system rather than data and science.

I've watched many of these meetings and asked myself, how many of these commissioners are advocates for Colorado sportsmen and many times I felt like the answer was none of them. Until we get a republican governor, if we ever do again, this isn't going to change. It's sad that wildlife management policy is at the hands of political appointees who have no biological training or even a basic understanding of how things really work in the wild.
I’ve listened to Randy’s last 2 podcasts and it is very clear to me that the solution is not as easy electing an R or a D. There are plenty of stakeholders that would be in the R’s pocket who would prefer to rape and pillage habitat, get rid of public land, cut fish and game budgets even further that would affect the average hunter. What we need is someone who is willing to work with all stakeholders equally and not just one group versus another group. Get back to science based management, actually listening to the biologists and experts that you hire to do the job of fish and game management.

Well the current overlord (polis) and his cronies in Co, are putting the screws to this state every which way. The supposed “party of science” loves it until it comes to wildlife management the emotions and feelings take the wheel… Co will likely never see a “red” governor. I would take a tad more of a centrist or lefty who fishes and hunts, heck that is feeling like a pipe dream these days. If and if we can fend off the lion hunting ban next Nov I will be amazed. I agree the cost increase on predator hunting is just trying to kill it altogether

I’ve listened to Randy’s last 2 podcasts and it is very clear to me that the solution is not as easy electing an R or a D. There are plenty of stakeholders that would be in the R’s pocket who would prefer to rape and pillage habitat, get rid of public land, cut fish and game budgets even further that would affect the average hunter. What we need is someone who is willing to work with all stakeholders equally and not just one group versus another group. Get back to science based management, actually listening to the biologists and experts that you hire to do the job of fish and game management.
Politics has no place in doing what's right for resources, science does. My two cents

Politics has no place in doing what's right for resources, science does. My two cents
Completely agree, I wish that could be set aside, with the current spoils system in Co, it kind of matters though as the Gov appoints the commissioners. This gov more likely his husband( the animal activist) is making appointments. Hence some really wild stuff coming down the pipe. We need actual outdoorsmen on the commission not activist hacks.

Completely agree, I wish that could be set aside, with the current spoils system in Co, it kind of matters though as the Gov appoints the commissioners. This gov more likely his husband( the animal activist) is making appointments. Hence some really wild stuff coming down the pipe. We need actual outdoorsmen on the commission not activist hacks.
The Gov should do a better job then

There is zero accountability for him. He is a lame duck governor, on top of that his voting base and most of the dem voting base are non consumptive outdoor users, so his ridiculous appointments to the CPW commission will have zero impact on anyone voting for him… I was amazed and jealous when in MT a few years ago, the attack ads for the gubernatorial election had some centered around which candidate was a hunter and angler haha I loved it. Like I said with the far left seemingly controlling Co not sure if we will get another gov who hunts and fishes. With the giant influx of residents into the state lots of politicians really aren’t Coloradans just coastie hacks who moved here in the last 5 years

There is zero accountability for him. He is a lame duck governor, on top of that his voting base and most of the dem voting base are non consumptive outdoor users, so his ridiculous appointments to the CPW commission will have zero impact on anyone voting for him… I was amazed and jealous when in MT a few years ago, the attack ads for the gubernatorial election had some centered around which candidate was a hunter and angler haha I loved it. Like I said with the far left seemingly controlling Co not sure if we will get another gov who hunts and fishes. With the giant influx of residents into the state lots of politicians really aren’t Coloradans just coastie hacks who moved here in the last 5 years
Yeah that's politics and it has no place there. Someone should have him read A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold, maybe he'll get it then!

to use a randyism, the governor is just leaning on political favors with his appointments i assume.

he coudln't hardly give a shit what goes on with hunting and neither could the mass majority of the non hunting public. but his husband has an agenda and some deep pockets who have his ear have an agenda. and the non hunting public will make whatever decision an advertisement tells them because they kinda don't care or have an opinion until someone gives them one.

it's the way it is, kinda the ways it's always been, R or D.

it's just unfortunate that we're really no longer a purple state.

colorado has huge hunter numbers though, both res and non res and both R and D who need to make their voices heard. if there is an argument to be made for retention and recruitment this is it. large constituencies sway people who want to have or keep office. colorado does have that defense, we have a shit ton of people who live here and hunt and innumerable NRs that have a huge passion for this states hunting resources. we gotta talk to our neighbors and show them what we love, take them out to experience what we love; pound our state legislators; and get absolutely fired up when this commission goes batshit and tell them, respectfully, to their faces.

to use a randyism, the governor is just leaning on political favors with his appointments i assume.

he coudln't hardly give a shit what goes on with hunting and neither could the mass majority of the non hunting public. but his husband has an agenda and some deep pockets who have his ear have an agenda. and the non hunting public will make whatever decision an advertisement tells them because they kinda don't care or have an opinion until someone gives them one.

colorado has huge hunter numbers though, both res and non res and both R and D who need to make their voices heard. if there is an argument to be made for retention and recruitment this is it. large constituencies sway people who want to have or keep office. colorado does have that defense, we have a shit ton of people who live here and hunt and innumerable NRs that have a huge passion for this states hunting resources. we gotta talk to our neighbors and show them what we love, take them out to experience what we love; pound our state legislators; and get absolutely fired up when this commission goes batshit and tell them, respectfully, to their faces.
The in person thing has the best impact! They can see your passion and commitment.

Politicians come and go like ashes in the wind! Think there's a Mark Twain quote;
Once there was a politician and then there was an idiot ...... but I repeat myself!
Think it's always been that way to a degree .... we just have a window seat now.

Last edited:
I completely understand your sentiment but I believe you are being a bit too broad or imprecise in your diagnosis of the problem. Colorado has had many democratic Governors in the past without such one-sided affronts to hunting. Governor Polis is the issue, plain and simple. He has embraced a clear anti-hunting agenda. I would wager that he is the most decidedly anti-hunting Governor in the country, aside from maybe Jay Inslee in Washington. There are even sportsmen in his administration that are concerned, but essentially keep their opinions and hobbies to themselves. He leads the party with a super majority in the General Assembly. Other elected democratic officials favorable to sportsmen (State Representatives and Senators) are afraid to challenge him on these issues for fear of political retribution. I have never seen a major state-level political office so unresponsive and unwilling to have any sort of open dialogue. I have contacted them dozens of times via phone and email without the courtesy of a single response. I believe Governor Polis stated when he took office that he would represent all Coloradans. Well, except for hunters, anglers, veterans, and pretty much anyone outside Denver/Boulder.

I am thoroughly disappointed and fraught with regret that I was unable to attend the Commission meeting today. I will withhold further comment until I am able to watch the meeting in its entirety.

Huge thank you to @Oak for taking the time to attend and always standing up for hunters and reasonable, science-based management.

Last edited:

Wish were were still purple and that we had folks who weren’t straight ticket voters… I’d venture to say much of the public is centrist, but it seems like idiots on the far spectrums are getting elected, which leads to idiotic policies…

Wish were were still purple and that we had folks who weren’t straight ticket voters… I’d venture to say much of the public is centrist, but it seems like idiots on the far spectrums are getting elected, which leads to idiotic policies…

yeah, exactly. the majority of the public really isn't concerned much with hunting and whether people do it and what it is they hunt.

but you get some pretty extremist voices telling those people what they think on a topic they've never cared about and they'll quickly adopt an opinion on it, even when they don't really care about it.

it's pretty dry tinder out there, it can work for us if we're smart.

I completely understand your sentiment but I believe you are being a bit too broad or imprecise in your diagnosis of the problem. Colorado has had many democratic Governors in the past without such one-sided affronts to hunting. Governor Polis is the issue, plain and simple. He has embraced a clear anti-hunting agenda. I would wager that he is the mostly decidedly anti-hunting Governor in the country, aside from maybe Jay Inslee in Washington. There are even sportsmen in his administration that are concerned, but essentially keep their opinions and hobbies to themselves. He leads the party with a super majority in the General Assembly. Other elected democratic officials favorable to sportsmen (State Representatives and Senators) are afraid to challenge him on these issues for fear of political retribution. I have never seen a major state-level political office so unresponsive and unwilling to have any sort of open dialogue. I have contacted them dozens of times via phone and email without the courtesy of a single response. I believe Governor Polis stated when he took office that he would represent all Coloradans. Well, except for hunters, anglers, veterans, and pretty much anyone outside Denver/Boulder.

I am throughly disappointed and fraught with regret that I was unable to attend the Commission meeting today. I will withhold further comment until I am able to watch the meeting in its entirety.

Huge thank you to @Oak for taking the time to attend and always standing up for hunters and reasonable, science-based management.
I admit to broad brushing the political party thing - being a voter for nearly 50 years kind of does that to a person that pays attention. I will also admit I don't really trust politicians from either party. It's a damn shame one man can have the kind of power Polis does.

Marie Haskett was the voice of reason at this meeting. I applaud her hanging in there when she is clearly outnumbered. It's tough to win a battle when the enemy has infiltrated your ranks.

Commissioner Tutchton is either very naive or being very deceptive about why the ballot initiative to ban lion hunting was brought forth. He says the ballot initiative was introduced because "the public feels we are not doing a good job managing mountain lion hunting." We all know that initiative has nothing to do with mismanagement and everything to do with banning hunting. Plus when he says "the public feels" makes it sound like everyone is on board for banning lion hunting.

I feel bad for the CPW staff that have deal with this commission clown show. The commission springs a big license increase on them out of the blue and then asks for data on various topics related to it so CPW staff has people work throughout the night on it only to wake up and find out, "we changed our mind." Changing their mind was a good thing but the way the recommended license increase transpired was very sneaky and unprofessional.

I'll end this rant by saying it is very disheartening to watch the board that controls how wildlife is managed in Colorado act as they do. They often ignore science based management and instead base their decisions on personal biases or what they are hearing from animal rights activists, or at the very least, those that are totally uneducated in responsible wildlife management.

I went back and watched this commission meeting, some really troubling dialogue. Commissioner Tutchton continues to make false or misleading statements (hunters don't eat bears and lions, game revenue doesn't support non-game species, no science to support mountain lion hunting) and attempts to make significant changes to seasons/regulations without public comment or prepared staff input. What was even more troubling was the public comment from the various mountain lion hunting ban ballot initiative proponents. I commend Commissioner Skiba for calling them out regarding the use of the term "trophy hunting" when the language explicitly bans all hunting. The proponents just deflected and didn't answer his question. What caught my eye is that Sam Bruegger is now running the mountain lion ban ballot initiative campaign. She provided public comment during the meeting and is one of the proponents on ballot initiative #101. This is a clear signal that this ballot initiative is not just a "local, Colorado grassroots" effort to help animals; Bruegger is a professional campaign director, lobbyist, and national-level anti-hunting executive (WildEarth Guardians). She comes to Colorado by way of California and Washington, successfully leading the "Washington Wildlife for All" organization that eliminated the spring bear hunt, removed "hunting" and "conservation" from the WDFW long term plan/policy, and built an anti-hunting majority on the WDFW commission. She claims to have the support of many "hunters", describing hunting as "reckless consumption", and participates in the "Pathways-Mutualism" anti-hunting policy center at Colorado State University. Ballot initiatives #91 and #101 in Colorado are just a part of a coordinated, multi-state, coalition campaign to eliminate hunting and reimage wildlife management without hunters.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back