Coyote of Opportunity

Double Naught Spy

http://youtu.be/IDV8TGLdQuo

This was a bit of a fortuitous kill. I had been set up for hunting a hog and spent about 8 hours waiting for him. After all the deer activity died down, I decided to check out the other areas of the property, see if the hog was maybe hitting one of the other feeders. In the process, I came across this coyote running back and forth along a wind break tree line. I caught her on her return trip.

Turned out to be a healthy female. The distance was ~60 yards.

After finishing with the coyote, I returned to my stand and on the way in, finally spotted my hog at the feeder I had been watching all evening. I got too excited and forgot to video. The hog is shown at the end of the video.

Looked like a nice hog. How do you like your Grendel on pigs? I considered one, but went with a .450 instead.

I'd just as soon shoot a big old boar hog over a whitetail, any day.

Hogs are my preferred prey and the Grendel does well on them. I am shooting Hornady SST 123 gr. ammo. What I don't like about the ammo is that it does tend to break up, but it also has great penetration. In fact, I often get over penetration on hogs.

My choice for a Grendel was originally spurred out of a need for a caliber that would not hurt night vision (most of my stuff is rated at no more than .308) and that had less recoil than my .308. I needed the reduced recoil because of a temporary medical issue. The best choices were 6.8 spc and 6.5 Grendel and the Grendel won out because of a higher BC and higher sectional density.

The reduced recoil has also been helpful for videography. Here are several examples if you want to see how it is performing on hogs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ygMF1--PKk&list=PLRdcWtDwxcrQ5LetC1VPndpvUnTcxUmOO

Based on my skills, the Grendel has performed very well and is as efficient at hog killing as the .308. To date, my largest weighed boar (264 lbs), furthest kill (205 yards), and only double have been with the Grendel. I believe I have shot about 30-35 hogs with it, 40-45 with .308, and then a few with .45/70 and a few with 5.56.

I think the .450 is a very good choice. My favorite hog caliber is .45/70 and is comparable ballistically to your .450. It does wonders on hogs, no doubt, but isn't NV-friendly. :-(

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtownsend
Back