Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Congressman's letter

Rob Allen

I am sure many of you have received letters very much like this but I thought I'd post this here.

November 17, 2016

Dear Mr. Allen,

Thank you for contacting me about public lands. I appreciate having your thoughts on this issue, as your input is valuable to me.

As a fifth generation Montanan, I understand how important our public lands are to our local economies, communities, and, more importantly, our very way of life. Our wealth of natural resources creates jobs, supports families, and promotes recreation. It is of utmost importance to me that we preserve the public’s access to these lands.

In a joint address to the Montana State Legislature, I made it clear that I will not tolerate selling our public lands. However, the amount of red tape surrounding the federal government’s management of lands directly hurts Montana. Many sections of our forests are so poorly tended to that a single lit match will completely wipe out decades of timber growth and habitat preservation. We need to find a way to cut through the bureaucracy to ensure our parks, forests, and other public areas are properly managed.

I have consistently supported keeping our public lands public. With each vote, I have taken on leadership for the sake of Montana’s values. As a member of the House Natural Resources Committee, please know that I will keep your thoughts firmly in mind as we discuss how to best manage and preserve our natural heritage.

It is an honor to represent the people of Montana. Understanding the views of my constituents is very important to me as I continue to serve you. I will never forget who my real boss is.

If I can be of further assistance to you or your family, please do not hesitate to contact me.

In God We Trust,

Ryan K. Zinke
Member of Congress

"The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday"

Reading between the lines, is it fair to assume he does advocate -- or at least not oppose -- transfer of federal lands to the states?

He at least admits that red tape is an issue for the federal agencies. Doesn't address how he as a member of congress would remove some of the red tape that congress created. Doesn't acknowledge that the lack of funding is an issue to completing management objectives. Tosses out the smoke screen of "management" being what the transfer is about. The federal transfer is simply about greed and stealing the public's land and absolutely nothing else. Maybe I'm wrong about this guy but I'm pretty sure I know where he stands.

When it comes to federal lands, please remind your Congressperson when they speak about "federal mismanagement" and "Washington overreach" who exactly is responsible. Who sets the insanely low fees for economic uses on federal lands? Congress. Who creates the legislation that mandates how things are regulated on federal lands? Congress. Who appropriates and grants spending authority for the funds to accomplish (or not accomplish) management on federal lands? Congress. Why does funding for efforts that work with local communities on management and conservation issues keep getting cut, or spending authority revoked? Congress.

It's time to be a little more pointed when contacting our representatives, particularly those who rail against "federal mismanagement". When they try to tell you all the problems with the way the federal government does things, remind them that THEY ARE the federal government. Don't get rid of my land, fix the damn problems with the legislation!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigElk
Back