Colorado Bans Drones For Hunting

Colberjs

http://www.backcountryhunters.org/i...en-applaud-colorado-ban-on-drones-for-hunting

Partial quote:

Earlier today, the Colorado Parks & Wildlife Commission voted to make Colorado the first state where hunting tradition and fair chase are protected from civilian use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV’s) for hunting.

The following is an excerpt from our hunting guide here in Oklahoma:

computer-Aided hunting
The use of computer software or services that allow a person, not physically present, to re- motely control a firearm or weapon to hunt any live animal or bird is prohibited.

Wouldn't that, by default, also ban the use of drones?

I think it's 2 different things. A few years back I read a few articles about a place in Texas that was offering "hunts" were you would use the internet to move a gun and shoot animals. The lawmakers got ahold of it and I believe a handful of states made similar laws outlawing that type of activity. Then it came out that those "hunts" were all a hoax anyway.

Drones would be for recon of hunting areas or animals. I get the idea that we don't want people flying drones looking for animals to hunt, but I always hate when "lawmakers" decide to make a law for a problem that doesn't exist. Pretty sure we have a few other problems here in Colorado that do exist that they might want to spend some time on.

I think it's 2 different things. A few years back I read a few articles about a place in Texas that was offering "hunts" were you would use the internet to move a gun and shoot animals. The lawmakers got ahold of it and I believe a handful of states made similar laws outlawing that type of activity. Then it came out that those "hunts" were all a hoax anyway.

Drones would be for recon of hunting areas or animals. I get the idea that we don't want people flying drones looking for animals to hunt, but I always hate when "lawmakers" decide to make a law for a problem that doesn't exist. Pretty sure we have a few other problems here in Colorado that do exist that they might want to spend some time on.

I'm aware of the scenario you mentioned. But wouldn't a drone need to be controlled by software? The Oklahoma law would cover that although I'm sure it wasn't written with drones in mind.

I'm aware of the scenario you mentioned. But wouldn't a drone need to be controlled by software? The Oklahoma law would cover that although I'm sure it wasn't written with drones in mind.

Hmmm, they probably are. But I got a little remote control helicopter for Xmass from the wife, I bet I could duct tape her Flip to it and walla, I have a really crappy drone that I could fly around my back yard and check for deer;)

Jorgy....what some of us have learned about regulating technology is that you have to be ahead of the curve....before people invest in the newest gadget and then cry foul when agencies try to regulate their use. Now there is virtually nobody with this technology in hunting....wait 5 years and then good luck trying to stop their use. Way to go Colorado!

Jorgy....what some of us have learned about regulating technology is that you have to be ahead of the curve....before people invest in the newest gadget and then cry foul when agencies try to regulate their use. Now there is virtually nobody with this technology in hunting....wait 5 years and then good luck trying to stop their use. Way to go Colorado!

you are right about that, and I totally understand someone who has that view.

I guess my point comes from the law about not hunting with aid of the internet came from a internet hoax, and people actually spent their time changing laws/rules to ban it. Now from a little google searching I found the banning of drones came from the Backcountry Hunters and Angler group (and yes, I know there are some people from this site who are members) and it was started after Amazon announced they were going to use drones to deliver packages in so many years. Guess what, that was a publicity stunt.

Now in my google searching I did find that this was game commission vote, I thought initially that this was something that went through legislation.

Makes me wonder why nobody is up in arms about game cameras that have wifi in them.pretty darn close to the purpose of not using a drone for hunting.

BHA was promoting the drone issue long before Amazon did their political stunt. Check out our fall issue of the Backcountry Journal for a detailed discussion. If you PM me your address I'll send you a copy.

Makes me wonder why nobody is up in arms about game cameras that have wifi in them.pretty darn close to the purpose of not using a drone for hunting.

I don't have a WIFI game cam (probably for the one reason that I can't afford one) but I can see both sides of that argument. The game cam requires you at least get off the couch to place it. I'm sure it's difficult to figure out where the boundaries need to be when it comes to game and fish laws.

Jorgy, these are the same lawmakers who think making a 15 round magazine capacity law will stop lunatics from walking into a public place and being evil. Goes to show how these state lawmakers are just oblivious to the real world, but hey they got the pot laws passed....:confused:

Jorgy, these are the same lawmakers who think making a 15 round magazine capacity law will stop lunatics from walking into a public place and being evil. Goes to show how these state lawmakers are just oblivious to the real world, but hey they got the pot laws passed....:confused:

Incorrect, it was the legislature that passed the 15 round mag ban, the voters passed the pot initiative...The drone ban was done by who should be deciding on it, the Parks & Wildlife Commission.

Jorgy.....people are indeed concerned about other technology such as wifi trail cams. It takes people who get involved and will use some energy to get involved and see it thru to make something happen. Backcountry Hunters and Anglers is working on regulations for drones in several states, including here in Montana. BTW, all trail cams are outlawed for use in hunting seasons here in Montana. Because they are legal in many other states, some hunters want Montana to concede to the technology creep and ok them here.

Fact is that Unmanned Aerial Vehicles are being used (with heat-sensors) to locate animals, both in the US and in Europe. Not a big trend, yet, but once the horse is out of the barn, it's a lot harder to round it up. It's pretty easy to imaging a sleazy actor keeping track of a bighorn ram, or herd bull, with a drone. Thanks to CO DOW Commission for vision. Someone has to stand up for fair chase, if it is to mean anything.

While I understand the sentiment, I'm having trouble understanding how a Wildlife agency hopes to regulate the use of UAV's.
Does, and should the State have the right to restrict me flying a UAV over the ''Back Forty''? If I do should I not be able to ever hunt it?
Does anyone know where the Forest Service and BLM stand as to the use of UAV's on land they manage ?
How is the use of UAV's different than Manned aircraft for scouting?

While I understand the sentiment, I'm having trouble understanding how a Wildlife agency hopes to regulate the use of UAV's.
Does, and should the State have the right to restrict me flying a UAV over the ''Back Forty''? If I do should I not be able to ever hunt it?

While I don't know the specifics of the rule passed by the commission, it seems clear that you can use a UAV all you like outside of hunting season.

Does anyone know where the Forest Service and BLM stand as to the use of UAV's on land they manage ?

A moot point as the state is in charge of setting hunting regulations

How is the use of UAV's different than Manned aircraft for scouting?

Not very much different, in that a 24 hour restriction seems reasonable....but more specifically, no flying of UAVs during the season.

Last edited:
Fact is that Unmanned Aerial Vehicles are being used (with heat-sensors) to locate animals, both in the US and in Europe. Not a big trend, yet, but once the horse is out of the barn, it's a lot harder to round it up. It's pretty easy to imaging a sleazy actor keeping track of a bighorn ram, or herd bull, with a drone. Thanks to CO DOW Commission for vision. Someone has to stand up for fair chase, if it is to mean anything.
+1

Sometimes its not popular to stand up for fair chase, but IMO Drones have no place in hunting, especially with the advancements in imaging technology on them. FLIR, IMO also has no place in hunting, and seeing how many UAV's can be equiped with FLIR... Two birds one stone.

While I don't know the specifics of the rule passed by the commission, it seems clear that you can use a UAV all you like outside of hunting season.

You've got to admit that this one will be interesting the first time it comes before a Judge.
I'm not sold on the idea that the DOW can make an otherwise legal,non-hunting activity Illegal just because a season is open.

You've got to admit that this one will be interesting the first time it comes before a Judge.
I'm not sold on the idea that the DOW can make an otherwise legal,non-hunting activity Illegal just because a season is open.

Roads are closed during hunting seasons.
The use of trails cams during hunting seasons is not permitted.

There are many examples of rules put in place that are otherwise permitted outside of a hunting season. I think it's pretty clear there won't be many UAV enthusiasts out in the woods come September-December "just for fun".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back