Colorado 74 archery deer

Hferrin701

I drew a Colorado archery mule deer in gmu 74 this fall. Ive been watching the western hunter and watching nate backpack all over the west hunting at treeline has got me fired up to do the same. Im looking at the la plata mountains due to the bc and py entries from those mountains but when I look over the maps theres very little timberline country vs the northern part of the unit around silverton. anyone hunted either of these areas? any suggestions? thanks

Hferrin, congrats on your tag. That'll be a fun hunt. I know we exchanged a few PMs a while back. And, yes, the bulk of the really high country can be found up near Silverton in that corner of the world, but as far as the La Platas go... I would check Silver Mountain, Silver Basin, and Lewis Mountain. It's gonna require tough hiking, but it should be a great hunt. Best of luck! Let us know how it goes.

thanks that's funny I was just looking at that area an hour ago. It looks like there is a 4x4 trail up to eagle pass on the south side of lewis mountain. Do you know if that road can driven with a truck or would maybe a side by side be better suited? After we exchanged emails before I changed my application to 74 first choice. Couldn't help not going there with all the bc and py entries. Have you hunted those mountains that you suggested? Ill be up that way scouting it end of july, im anxious to see how much hunting pressure that area gets, thanks again.

Last edited:
Have you considered having the train drop you off? I'm pretty sure that's in 74. I have no idea if it gives you and advantage or not though...

that's 75. That was my second choice, had I drawn that I would have, thanks though.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Su Sal
Back