CO Unit 85 elk

JohnCushman

MiStickSlinger had started a thread about hunting elk in Unit 85 a while back that got caught up in the week of wipe out in the reset. I kept suggesting archery, but there was a HuntTalker that was suggesting 1st rifle season that I was going back and forth with joking around and busting stones with.

Well, since I'm 0-7 with archery trying to get a bull, and have archery plans for a deer this year and don't have the 12 elk points to draw a tag in that unit, I think I'm going to swallow my pride and use my 1 point on a rifle tag, and I'd like to talk to that member about unit 85 1st season like that member suggested.

Since the wipe out happened I don't remember that member's handle. Could he get ahold of me so we can chat about the unit? Please...:cool:

John, I can't answer your question since I just joined the forum... But I can give you anecdotal information about GMU 85. :D

I've never hunted large game down there, but my family owns about 400 acres or so (the exact count isn't clear to me) on the south side of the unit north of Cokedale. Every time I've been on that land, it's covered in deer and elk scat. So there's that.

I plan on Turkey hunting in the unit this Spring.

vndUJkH.jpg

I saw a ton of these when I was in 85 back in April, unfortunately all on private with no public I could find on a map nearby

I've never even looked on this side of the state before...lol All I thought we had was antelope and they sold the Plains elk tags just to trick people and pocket some money :D

Back