Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

CO 61 roads and atvs

PAGOAT

I've been looking over the Montrose County Road map and onX trying to figure out some roads to access places. My question is the roads that are segment id 9999 primitive pretty much an ATV road? I'm trying to decide if it'd be worth the extra bother to bring a trailer and ATV for a second rifle cow hunt. Thanks everyone and good luck.

One of my shortest-ever elk pack outs was a second rifle cow hunt in 61. You might use an ATV if you have one along. But there are a lot of elk in that unit, and it’s certainly not necessary.

Thank you. I'll compare this with the others.
Pagoat nailed it! The vehicle usage map for UNF shows exactly the roads that are open for normal size vehicles, atv over 50 inches wide and for atv under 50 inches wide. Also trail for bikes and horse only. Roads forest roads 402, 408, 409, 421, 500 and 505 all get your truck into good elk country. The biggest issue you will have is weather dependent ....rain and snow may dictate where you can go. Sometimes an ATV could be very handy.

Pagoat nailed it! The vehicle usage map for UNF shows exactly the roads that are open for normal size vehicles, atv over 50 inches wide and for atv under 50 inches wide. Also trail for bikes and horse only. Roads forest roads 402, 408, 409, 421, 500 and 505 all get your truck into good elk country. The biggest issue you will have is weather dependent ....rain and snow may dictate where you can go. Sometimes an ATV could be very handy.
It helps a lot now, the couple roads I looked at were actually motorcycle trails. The roads you mention go north off 402 or divide they would be in 62. If the weather is going to look bad I'll probably take the atv at the last minute but i think for now I plan to leave it home.

I live nearby and spend a large amount of time in 61 and 62, both summers and hunting seasons. I find an atv, especially one less than 50”, to be very useful in getting around. I probably wouldn’t haul one from that far away though because 61 can be hunted, especially for a cow elk, without one. The picture of my dog staring at bear poop in my avatar is from 61.

Unit 61 is great to get around with an ATV. Buddy and I have gone there a couple times just to scout and it was a fun trip. You will definitely have a lot more access with an ATV

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back