Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

CO 3rd season Unit 61 Halftime report

Nice Job T-Bone! I've got to say, you had a few more days- but that might not have paid off. Great buck. Did you see more bucks after the 1st weekend??? The weather cleared up quick- any difference?

Way to go T-Bone! Congrats to ya. (...I was going to post here last eve something good must have happened, had a good feeling) Righteous bucks r going down this season!

A couple details:

At the beginning of the hunt I hunted fairly high. I saw two bucks in two days. One was Mongo, one was the 180 class deer in the first photo. Then the snow hit, the deer hung around for a day or two then started moving to lower ground.

Wednesday morning I went to the transition middle elevations and saw 3 bucks lined out on the move to lower ground. One looked like a shooter. I tracked them for a couple miles through an ocean of oak brush without seeing them.

Earlier in the hunt I'd met another hunter from Kanab, UT that really knew what he was doing. He's killed a lot of big deer and he was trophy hunting. I stopped by his camp for lunch and he asked if I wanted to kill a buck. He showed me video of the buck and said he wasn't interested in it, but it was mine for the taking if I wanted to give it a go.

He lead me right to the buck. It was within 100 yards of where he put it to bed a few hours before. We spotted it bedded, and stalked to within 80 yards. It was in the thick JP cover so we waited. Then the wind switched and the buck blew out. I was hoping he'd do the classic bounce and stop broadside, but he didn't. He hit the afterburners so I shot and put a Partition through the rear axel. He disappeared over the hill and I ran after.

I found him in some thick cover and anchored him.

This deer was a gift from Travis from Kanab.

A couple thoughts on unit 61.
1- The unit has so much cover and ideal habitat that the bucks can get old there. It has huge potential as the Mongo buck showed. It can be frustrating because of all the cover.
2- Three days after a big snow, the deer magically pop out in the low country.
3- Elk, elk everywhere. I saw 100 elk for every deer. True story.
4- This is the first hunt ever where I wished I had an ATV. I beat the crap out of my 4Runner and got stuck several times where an ATV would have had no problem.
5- I need a better tent for late season stuff.
6- I'm applying every year for this hunt.
7- I think I'll look into the Leupold CDS turret thing. Increasing effective range can't be bad. Maybe Mongo would be in my garage instead of someone else's.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the collapsed tent.
100_1294.jpg

Congrats T-Bone! That is a hell of a buck. You have had a heck of a deer season. I didn't fill my tag this year, but did get a great look at a Mongo this year myself from 40 yards away out in the Owyhees. Unfortunately I had an archery tag and he was bounding away. Seeing him that close and in velvet made my season a success.

The first picture I previously attached said it was killed near Gateway Colorado this week. Didn't know if that is near where you were hunting. This attached photo specifically says 3rd season Unit 61. Could this be Mongo?? Both of these photos were posted on the Trophy Hunter web page.

Attachments

• COLORADO BUCK2.jpg
    COLORADO BUCK2.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 417
I'd really like to know specifics on the buck in the green Toyota. The sticker is like Mongo's. Crab claws on the back are right. If the Toyota is wearing New Mexico plates, that's him.

Last edited:
Great buck T-Bone. I probably would have pulled the trigger too although I may not have made it past the buck in your first picture. That's quite the headache rack on that Toyota. Damn!!!!

Congrats on a great looking buck, you chose a great one to pull the trigger on. My 2 cents on the Leupold CDS turret is that they're a great tool. I've got a Vortex Viper with their custom turret and love it.

That's a really pretty buck. Great consolation prize.
Do you know how wide those ears are? They look huge compared to our deer up here.

That's a really pretty buck. Great consolation prize.
Do you know how wide those ears are? They look huge compared to our deer up here.

Outside spread is 26" so those ears are all of that.

I'd estimated the buck in the snow to be 28" wide, but he may be an honest 30". My judging skills lack.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back