Caribou Gear Tarp

Central Montaa Mule Deer Rut

gregt9146

What is everyone seeing out in the Winnett area? are the Mule Deer starting to rut up a bit?

Family members just got back from Geraldine and said that the bucks are rutted up and pushing does, my grandpa killed a nice 4pt that was with a bunch of does. Based on their experience I would say it's cranking at least where they were.

I spent last week North of the ditch, and we saw pretty good rutting activity. About 50/50 on what bucks were chasing does. I'm headed back to the South side this weekend, I expect they should be going real hard by then.

20161104_080834_003_zps14vu61rq.jpg

Will be flying into Billings tomorrow for 4 days of hunting. My son is beyond excited to start hunting.

Good luck to you and your son ! I'm leaving Tuesday , it can come soon enough ! We also have elk b tags in region 4

Sitting at my desk at work just now, catch movement out the window. Buck and doe come running through our lower yard, his nose up her rear the whole way.

Sitting at my desk at work just now, catch movement out the window. Buck and doe come running through our lower yard, his nose up her rear the whole way.

this is greaaatttt news... man I cant take this much more. is it Tuesday yet....

Where is Ditch at? Nice buck by the way. Did you Harvest him?

No, he got a pass. It's likely someone else has killed him by now though, where he was holed up at

Last edited:
The rut is starting to kick. There is good and bad news for public land hunters. The good is that with all the rain this fall the hills have greened up very nicely. With all the green feed in the hills there is less need for the does to be in the alfalfa fields. I have noticed fewer bucks coming out of the hill to rut and this means that more are staying in the hills and that makes it more likely that the bucks will be on Public. Some bucks are showing but numbers are fewer than in normal years. I stalked into bow range with the use of a mobile hunting blind this nice three point. Shot him multiple time and he didn't seem to mind one bit.
The bad news is that the weather sucks. Way too hot and the super moon is not going to help. Most of the movement is confined to the first few hours of morning and the last half hour of daylight. The good feed and hot temps are keeping the deer hid in the heavy timber much of the time. Hunting will be much more difficult than if the temp was below freezing and there was snow.

Attachments

• DSCN0756.jpg
    DSCN0756.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
No, he got a pass. It's likely someone else has killed him by now though, where he was holed up at
It can be pretty bad up there. Saw an ok buck from the road one year and told my buddy that buck had 20 minutes at most to live. We hadn't even driven out of sight of the buck when someone stopped, got out of their truck, and shot him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back