Caribou Gear

CBA is asking for your help

grasshopper

See the link for details, This is the CBA BGSS committee analysis & recommendations to the CBA membership and the bowhunting community. Members should get a CBA email soon.

I know most folks on this site understand the issues and do lodge comment, just a reminder and some talking points we see as valid.

If you are a nonresident, pretty much all the proposals call for limits. Status quo is unlikely. Wish I had a better answer.

If you think it is not a fee increase because everyone applies anyway, I would say some don't, especially low income. Head of a household with 4 kids? Ouch. Also, too bad Jeff Ver Steeg is gone. Not too long ago Senator Leroy Garcia was told his low income constituents would be able to buy just the OTC tag for $60, and save the $40 cost for apps and fees. I don't think this would have been a staff recommendation is Jeff was still around. I miss that guy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OwCGMaYQi8N1qB79_JQiSSd3IvI7YpFo/view?usp=sharing

See the link for details, This is the CBA BGSS committee analysis & recommendations to the CBA membership and the bowhunting community. Members should get a CBA email soon.

I know most folks on this site understand the issues and do lodge comment, just a reminder and some talking points we see as valid.

If you are a nonresident, pretty much all the proposals call for limits. Status quo is unlikely. Wish I had a better answer.

If you think it is not a fee increase because everyone applies anyway, I would say some don't, especially low income. Head of a household with 4 kids? Ouch. Also, too bad Jeff Ver Steeg is gone. Not too long ago Senator Leroy Garcia was told his low income constituents would be able to buy just the OTC tag for $60, and save the $40 cost for apps and fees. I don't think this would have been a staff recommendation is Jeff was still around. I miss that guy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OwCGMaYQi8N1qB79_JQiSSd3IvI7YpFo/view?usp=sharing
Curious what a box of ammo or a quiver of arrows cost these days. Just average middle of the road. Tag prices aren’t the issue.

Curious what a box of ammo or a quiver of arrows cost these days. Just average middle of the road. Tag prices aren’t the issue.
The cost of everything is an issue these days. I need a $2,000 dishwasher replacement. I have a senior in High School, priced college lately? Rent? Mortage? Property insurance? They tried to triple my county taxes. My property insurance and car insurance was increased to 12% of my gross income. A small bag of potato chips is $7.00 now.

I don't know which state your living in, is it denial?

Google median income in any rural county. Costilla county is poverty level.

The cost of everything is an issue these days. I need a $2,000 dishwasher replacement. I have a senior in High School, priced college lately? Rent? Mortage? Property insurance? They tried to triple my county taxes. My property insurance and car insurance was increased to 12% of my gross income. A small bag of potato chips is $7.00 now.

I don't know which state your living in, is it denial?

Google median income in any rural county. Costilla county is poverty level.
Exactly, you are proving my point, everything has become more expensive and that includes managing wild life and wild places. A little increase in the price of a tag is not an issue and I doubt it will affect any hunters from purchasing. I live in the Denver metro area, I own a business and will likely buy something at your auction this weekend if you are part of cba. But making an argument based on tag prices being the limiting factor from people hunting is insane. I employ inner city kids that want to learn to hunt because I give them some of my game meat. Just the bare minimum to able to hunt is a huge financial investment. A little bit more money for a tag is just a result of wildlife management costing more and trying to provide a more valuable product.

I'm glad CPW recognizes that CBA represents a fraction of resident hunters, some nonresident hunters, and that its member surveys are biased and self serving. When CPW surveys disagree with CBA surveys, CPW's are always more less biased and more statistically valid. CBA regularly produces its own survey "data" each time it wants to disagree with CPW. I am impressed that CBA shows up in hunting advocacy efforts. However, it does not represent me or the majority of other CO hunters.

There is no way to reduce NR participation in CO hunting without cost increase to resident hunters. CBA illustrates why license fee increases are so difficult to legislate in CO, another reason I'm no fan of CBA.

Exactly, you are proving my point, everything has become more expensive and that includes managing wild life and wild places. A little increase in the price of a tag is not an issue and I doubt it will affect any hunters from purchasing. I live in the Denver metro area, I own a business and will likely buy something at your auction this weekend if you are part of cba. But making an argument based on tag prices being the limiting factor from people hunting is insane. I employ inner city kids that want to learn to hunt because I give them some of my game meat. Just the bare minimum to able to hunt is a huge financial investment. A little bit more money for a tag is just a result of wildlife management costing more and trying to provide a more valuable product.
When there is nothing left in the checking account, you drop out. When you drop out, you don't vote against the next ballot initiative. If you remember the broscheid era, everything was about hunter recruitment. Problem was the ads and promotion was everywhere, but Colorado.

I gave my old bows away, the cost entry ain't much if you beg and shop on fb marketplace

Personally, I'll never support a fee increase after the broken promises for a private land access program that never happened. That's just me.

Look me up at the banquet, I'll be the guy in the camo ball cap, and buy you a beer.

Damn, Trial153 was right! Seriously, change is coming, hunting tags aren't a necessity. I spent a while struggling financially in my 20s and still managed to pony up for a yearly deer hunt. Average American woman spend $3k a year on coffee, times may be tough, but we're also very gluttonous

I'm glad CPW recognizes that CBA represents a fraction of resident hunters, some nonresident hunters, and that its member surveys are biased and self serving. When CPW surveys disagree with CBA surveys, CPW's are always more less biased and more statistically valid. CBA regularly produces its own survey "data" each time it wants to disagree with CPW. I am impressed that CBA shows up in hunting advocacy efforts. However, it does not represent me or the majority of other CO hunters.

There is no way to reduce NR participation in CO hunting without cost increase to resident hunters. CBA illustrates why license fee increases are so difficult to legislate in CO, another reason I'm no fan of CBA.
Cpws own survey doesn't support their own preference! Public input be damned!

If you ever want to discuss your grievance, send me a pm. Not sure I can solve it, but discussion can lead to healing, and less bitterness.

The CBA lost me completely with their continual promotion of the status quo long after IMO it was obvious it couldn't last. Only recently have they offered anything different (capping non residents) now that change is all but certain. Maybe if you guys would have gotten a bit ahead of the issue you wouldn't be looking down the barrel of losing resident OTC elk hunting.

The CBA lost me completely with their continual promotion of the status quo long after IMO it was obvious it couldn't last. Only recently have they offered anything different (capping non residents) now that change is all but certain. Maybe if you guys would have gotten a bit ahead of the issue you wouldn't be looking down the barrel of losing resident OTC elk hunting.
Excuse me? 5 years ago during bgss we had the exact same proposal. I wrote it. Good grief. I remember testifying in telluride. Every person besides me stood and said limit it. What happened is exactly what we said will happen. 67 percent of licenses went nr's. 12 bulls per 100 cows in one dau, 15 in another. No wonder they can't recruit calves, the bulls are dieing from rut exhaustion. 7000 hunters sent into an already insanely crowded much smaller otc landscape.

Appreciate your support though. The little old CBA has talked to a bunch of clubs and dealers. Will it matter? Time will tell.

Last edited:
When there is nothing left in the checking account, you drop out. When you drop out, you don't vote against the next ballot initiative. If you remember the broscheid era, everything was about hunter recruitment. Problem was the ads and promotion was everywhere, but Colorado.

I gave my old bows away, the cost entry ain't much if you beg and shop on fb marketplace

Personally, I'll never support a fee increase after the broken promises for a private land access program that never happened. That's just me.

Look me up at the banquet, I'll be the guy in the camo ball cap, and buy you a beer.
Haha you and everyone else. I’ll be in a pink hat, shouldn’t be hard to find. I don’t drink but I’ll say hello

Haha you and everyone else. I’ll be in a pink hat, shouldn’t be hard to find. I don’t drink but I’ll say hello
Look forward to it. Hot chocolate, coffee, water, lemonade - whatever.

Last year at the cba banquet we partnered with I think PDC energy. Every youth in attendance walked out the door with I believe a $1,000 gift card for a new bow. Recruiting resident voters, in my mind, is a really good way to stop ballot insanity.

Look forward to it. Hot chocolate, coffee, water, lemonade - whatever.

Last year at the cba banquet we partnered with I think PDC energy. Every youth in attendance walked out the door with I believe a $1,000 gift card for a new bow. Recruiting resident voters, in my mind, is a really good way to stop ballot insanity.
That’s pretty sweet, I got invited to attend with someone so I’ll be there.

We don’t always agree, but I appreciate that over the years @grasshopper is one of the very few who consistently show up and advocate for sportsmen and women.
I agree with you, we need more advocates all the way around! We don’t all have to agree to move in the right direction.

This is just not true @elkduds. Since the future generations act, CPW has had annual budget surplus in excess of $10,000,000 per year. Two years ago the surplus was nearly $30,000,000 which means they could reduce NR elk tags by 50% or 35,000 tags and still be operating in the black. Last year after cutting 25,000 deer elk and pronghorn tags due to enter kill in NW Colorado the surplus was still ~$18,000,000. If CPW weren’t currently spending 10s of millions annually on things like shooting ranges, reservoirs, hatcheries, and soon new office buildings, that surplus would be much larger each year. Everyone needs to stop believing that CPW needs to sell 70,000,000 NR elk tags per year to manage wildlife in this state as it is not the case and hasn’t been for 5+ years.

If CPW weren’t currently spending 10s of millions annually on things like shooting ranges, reservoirs, hatcheries, and soon new office buildings, that surplus would be much larger each year.
These are specifically the projects for which Future Generations was passed. Dams, fish raceways, and office buildings don’t last forever, and there was an overwhelming backlog of work needed.

These are specifically the projects for which Future Generations was passed. Dams, fish raceways, and office buildings don’t last forever, and there was an overwhelming backlog of work needed.
I understand that. The act also specifies increasing big game population and increasing access to private land, neither of which seem to be going very well. Anyhow, my point was simply that there is no financial justification to suggest that reducing NR elk tag sales would require a commensurate increase in resident tag price for CPW to continue to provide the same crowded, low success elk hunting they have always provided to the world.

Are Coloradans doing significantly worse than in the 40s?

A resident elk tag was 2x what it is adjusted for inflation in 47’.

IMG_5978.jpeg
Apparently the greatest generation was far more willing to pay for wildlife and less sniveled less about sharing.

Full limited for archery is the right call IMHO wish it was full limited for all tags.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back