Caribou Gear

Camp site near Craig CO

Chuck99

Doing a late season elk hunt near Craig CO. I will be tent camping and looking for a spot within 30 miles of Craig if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for the help,

There's a camp ground in Maybell with electricity and showers almost surrounded by public land. There's a really good diner right across the road from it and a meat processor kiddy corner from it.

There's a camp ground in Maybell with electricity and showers almost surrounded by public land. There's a really good diner right across the road from it and a meat processor kiddy corner from it.

maybell campground is closed come december.

Yampa State park is between Hayden and Craig. Stay there all the time when hunting around craig. Clean bathrooms, shower, right on the yampa river and they have a game post with pulley there for skinning/storing. Can't go wrong

maybell campground is closed come december.

Yampa State park is between Hayden and Craig. Stay there all the time when hunting around craig. Clean bathrooms, shower, right on the yampa river and they have a game post with pulley there for skinning/storing. Can't go wrong

Sorry...I didn't know that

There is tons of BLM all over that area that you can just set up on. Maybe you could elaborate a bit more? Are you looking for something that has some kind of facilities? Close to a certain area? There is also a KOA right in Craig. When is your season? The elk are still up high from what I saw last week, but that could change with the weather we are having. If it were me, I'd a get a cheap hotel, it's gonna be cold!!:D ;)

There is also a KOA right in Craig.

I've stayed there. Brand new bathrooms, clean. I wasn't hunting (just visiting Dino Monument) but did talk to the owner. He hunts elk and they are hunter-friendly with a place to hang meat. Nice place, and close to town if that is what you want. They have cabins too.

Westward hotel was $25/night back in 2012. You get what you pay for though.

Check out the museum while you're there.

Thanks guys, I am hunting the RFW hunt at Big Gulch from 11/30 to 12/4. There are different tracts that we could be hunting north east and west of Craig. I would prefer to camping on blm or the national forest but I am not sure were they are going to have us hunt. So I thought staying close to Craig would be better and save on driving time. I will be staying in a tent so i wasnt sure of the KOA or Yampa State park has sites for tents. Thanks all

Thanks guys, I am hunting the RFW hunt at Big Gulch from 11/30 to 12/4. There are different tracts that we could be hunting north east and west of Craig. I would prefer to camping on blm or the national forest but I am not sure were they are going to have us hunt. So I thought staying close to Craig would be better and save on driving time. I will be staying in a tent so i wasnt sure of the KOA or Yampa State park has sites for tents. Thanks all

See you out there Chuck! My wife has an E/S tag for that hunt. Heard the gamut on what to expect.

Yampa state park also has tent sites

good luck at Big Gulch - never hunted it, but been all around it over the years. I have to think it would be great for late season elk. I'll be around there the same time for late season cow in 3/301

Not sure if the roads open this late, but Freeman Reservoir has primitive camping. Good luck.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back