Caribou Gear Tarp

Calls in late october

pablodiablo

What's everyone's opinion on using elk calls in late october (second colorado elk rifle)? Is it something that'd be helpful, or would it be more of an impediment? Thank you!

I've used a cow call in rifle season to stop elk, but as far as calling on in I doubt you'd have much luck.

Cow calls should work year round. Won't get the Bulls to bugle (usually) but if your near other cows and calves, there's a good chance they'll chirp a bit at you.

Wow thanks guys. As always, you folks rock! I'm 17 days out from leaving for my first elk hunt!

Calls will let the elk know where you are. If that's your goal.

Call in a mature bull? I doubt it. They already got laid.

I have spooked bulls before and if they didn't wind me was able to cow call them back in during opening week of rifle here in Montana, last week of October. We have even had hard bugling bulls that week, one year had a mature bull going crazy bugling the last week of November! There must have been a cow that cycled really late. We never did catch up to him. I always carry a cow call. You never know.

I have a similar question. I'm heading out for 1st rifle here in CO (week after next) with a cow tag.
I bought my first cow calls (diaphragm calls, Carlton *I think*) and have been practicing in my truck whilst driving around.
Question is this: Is cow calling a good strategy to tag a cow? Am I mostly looking for responses so that I can stalk my way in for a shot?
Am I going to get an 800 pound bull making a pass at me?

I thought about the bear aspect. That doesn't seem to worry me NEARLY as much as a mountain lion.
Last year during this season, in the same unit, I came across the biggest mountain lion tracks I have ever seen. I mean almost the size of my hand with
fingers extended. And I came across an old elk carcass that the lion had been feeding on.
You can bet I was looking all around and up and down for the rest of that day.

I don't go walking through the woods meowing & chirping constantly...but I have gotten real close to bulls using a cow call for cover sound and they will stand when they hear one,and usually stop if taking off.

I thought about the bear aspect. That doesn't seem to worry me NEARLY as much as a mountain lion.
Last year during this season, in the same unit, I came across the biggest mountain lion tracks I have ever seen. I mean almost the size of my hand with
fingers extended. And I came across an old elk carcass that the lion had been feeding on.
You can bet I was looking all around and up and down for the rest of that day.

Yes, mountain lions too. It will bring in all predators. I don't call for elk, but do for bear. That's why I know the calf call brings in cows.

One time I was calling for bear with the calf call, and a warden walked up to me. I have no idea where he came from. Anyway, he asked me for my elk tag. I didn't say anything, and handed him a bear tag. The look on his face was priceless.

Last edited:
I've used periodic cow calls as cover when moving through noisy deadfall in late October, and had a bull march right up to me. Also I've used cow calls to make a post-rut bull in brush stand up so I could get a clear shot at his ribcage. Also used a cow call to bleat like a fawn mule deer to pull in the biggest mule deer buck I've ever shot. So, yeah, it's in my pocket.

Thanks for the info, guys.
I'm always looking to increase my elk IQ.
It never hurts to hear the stories, either...

I've called in cows with soft mew's in late season. I have also heard bulls bugle in November. I will be using cow calls this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back