Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

CA tusker

SDHNTR

Finally, with no guests, clients or friends to contend with this weekend I got a little time to hunt myself. Glassed up a group of pigs from an opposing ridge. They looked prettty content to feed there for a little while. There was an access road above them and a recovery road below them so I figured it was a good play. Drove around and dropped in from above. No hogs. I stopped and started looking real carefully when I head some pig noises off to my right. They were making it into a thick, stinging nettle choked cut to bed. Some were already in the nettles as you could see them shaking around. The last hog in the group looked like the best one. I was 37 yards above them. I took a shot and whiffed it right over his back. He never flinched. It was windy so he never heard a thing. I decided to try to get closer since they were still unaware of me. I worked into 24 yards. The pigs were coming straight up the hill at me, but I knew they would soon turn to follow their buddies into the brush. I hit full draw expecting the big boar in the back to turn. He kept coming. Just as I was about to have to let down, he turned just a bit and exposed his shoulder. I stuck him quartering to, right down through the on side shoulder blade and it exited back lung on the off side. The VPA Terminator broadhead not only penetrated the thick cartildge shield on both sides, it broke through the front shoulder, got full penetration out the other side, and didn't even have a nick in a blades. The hog took off running and right as he was about to make it over the crest of the hill and out of sight, I saw grass and dirt fly up in the air. I made my way to the spot, expecting to find him close by and he was nowhere. Looking downhill, there was a 4' swath of layed down grass and broken bushes as he crashed down the hill. He rolled 1000yds all the way to the bottom and stopped 15 yards from the road. That would have been great had I had a partner with me. But in this case it meant I hike to hike all the way down to dress and tag him, and then all the way back up to get my truck. Then it took some good old Boy Scout engineering to get him into the back of my truck by myself. Was probably 220lbs ish and had 2 3/4" exposed teeth, perfectly matched. Then topped off the weekend with the CBH State Broadhead Shoot. One of the most fun weekends I've had in a long while.

Attachments

• rsz_nate_tejon_bow_boar[1].jpg
    rsz_nate_tejon_bow_boar[1].jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 303
  • Terminator exit.jpg
    Terminator exit.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 302
That pig gives new meaning to the word "ugly".

They eat a lot better than they look, fortunately.

Nice! I shot one back in 2004 and I've always wanted to do it again.

Very nice! I'm new to CA (live in Palmdale), and love hog hunting! Great to see success!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back