MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Butcher Issues

Butcher's son just called me back. Very apologetic, asked to please send him pictures and said he will do his best to make this right. For the time being, he seems to be working with me, I'll post up how this turns out.

putm2sleep - thank you, PM sent.

Was just thinking that you should do this (call them out here, maybe some others had the same experience) as crittergitter did with the moose 'guide'? Sounds like he is an a$$hole - so ring him up!

Butcher's son just called me back. Very apologetic, asked to please send him pictures and said he will do his best to make this right. For the time being, he seems to be working with me, I'll post up how this turns out.

putm2sleep - thank you, PM sent.

The son must take after his mom. Sometimes mistakes are made so hopefully you can figure something out. its hard to replace wild game though.

I am sorry for your situation. It happens. I have shot a old raunchy buck and was not expecting a good flavor. My brother on the same hunt shot a little young 4 point. My meat was wonderful; his was piss poor! The butcher had not cared to separate the meat.

Other experience. Took an oryx to a local at home butcher. Not licensed. He asked if he could take a few steaks, He did and I have no problem. He asked and gave my a nice price. I enjoyed the meat and he enjoyed a few nice meals.

Stealing meat is a crime and I fully encouraged you to pursue your quest! The man is an criminal and needs to be held accountable.

Will not give you much good; but will help other hunters!

Just talked to the son again. He offered to pay for my gas up to Meeker to bring the elk back and we are gonna go through it and see what's going on. He is certain something has been mislabeled. I'm gonna load it up and head up there. Hopefully this is just a simple error.

Glad to hear they are at least willing to put some effort into this. I am sure that there are good, honest butchers out there with plenty of integrity, but it seems like this kind of story is all you ever hear. Keep us updated, hopefully this turns out for you!

I had almost an identical situation a few years ago, I usually do my own, but when time doesnt allow, I've got a new stand up guy who takes great care of me.

I hate thieves.

I just had the opposite of your problem. I always cut up my own game but I always bring a bit in to have sausage and slim Jim's made up. This year I brought 15 lbs in and asked for one stick of summer sausgae , two packs of slim Jim's and 5 lbs ground burger. Went to pick it up today and the employee carried a large box out to my car. Didn't think much about it until my wife mentioned the size of the box. When I checked, we had our order plus several roasts and a few packs of loins. Ended up bringing the extra back of course. Hopefully it all works out for you.

I usually do all my own now.
Been shorted & bad product both.
Last couple years I took my cows to a excellent local and we hit it off. I go home with my meat done right and he gives me something different to try each time I see him now.
I came home with Mountain Lion stew meat last time..stuff is killer in green chili stew and chili verde...
A real butcher and smoker/curer is a hard thing to find these days.

I usually do all my own now.
Been shorted & bad product both.
..stuff is killer in green chili stew and chili verde...

hank4elk, can you provide a good recipe for green chile stew? Green chile is a staple in Chama and we look forward to having it every year when we go. They are pretty tight lipped about their recipes.

hank4elk, can you provide a good recipe for green chile stew? Green chile is a staple in Chama and we look forward to having it every year when we go. They are pretty tight lipped about their recipes.

I won't tell you my recipe, but you can come over to my house and have some next time I make it :D

I'm in middle of moving into new house here and everything is lost.... Mine always comes out different depending on meat used and the roasted green chili crop that year anyway,but is always good.
I have several recipes that are great. Simpler the better.
Best of Santa Fe Cooking is a start.
Cook books from Cafe Pasquals and the Range are tops.
If I could just figure out how Rancho Chimayo does it I would be in heaven.........my ex is a very good chef .She did it somehow and she's a Brit. I'll have her send it to me.
Sorry for the hijack,just taking a break from butchering up my deer ....tenders or strap again for dinner? Or thaw some green chili stew.................?

We love Rancho de Chimayo. We always look forward to eating there after a visit to Santuario De Chimayo. Great Strawberry Margaritas too.

Last edited:
We love Rancho de Chimayo. We always look forward to eating there after a visit to Santuario De Chimayo. Great Strawberry Margaritas too.

Yep,those folks are great people.
The chicken mole is to die for....................:D MMMMMole,I have made with elk!!
Get some Chimayo Chili from one of the locals when your next there,it's the best.

Last edited:
The Rancho de Chimayo recipe cookbook by the Jamison's I did not have, but their previous one, The Border Cookbook, which has their New Mexico Best Green Chile Stew recipe.

Part of the flavor is from the Chamayo chiles, described as smoky, earthy, fruity and mild heat. If you cant get those, you can try to substitute peppers and modify the flavors missing.

Serves 8

1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat
2 medium onions diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 baking potatoes, peeled or unpeeled and diced
1 tbs salt or more to taste
5 cups chicken stock
3 cups chopped roasted mild green chiles, preferably New Mexican or Anaheim, fresh or frozen
1 red bell pepper diced
3 tbs minced fresh cilantro

In a Dutch oven or large, heavy saucepan, cook the beef over medium heat until it browns and most of the liquid from the beef has evaporated. Stir in the onions and garlic and cook for a couple minutes, until the onions become translucent. Add the potatoes, salt, and stock and raise the heat to bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a low simmer and cook, uncovered for about 1 hour.

Stir in the chiles and bell pepper and continue cooking for another 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until the beef is very tender.

Stir in the cilantro, if you wish, and serve hot.

I am a huge fan of hominy, so I have made my green chile with all hominy instead of potatotes or half and half and use yellow onions, more garlic. I grew Mirasol peppers (Guajillo when dried) for their fruity flavor (part of the flavor for chile powder mix) and added some roasted Poblanos (Anchos dried). I also add organic bacon grease because I always brown stew or soup meat in the skillet before adding to soups/stews.

Last edited:
Good stuff!!
That's it,simple.
I use alot of pasole or hominy now too.
Hatch chiles in the can are passable for commercial.
Carrots are good in there too.
A pinch of Chipolte or smoked ancho powder can sort of substitute since it's smokey flavored.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back