Black Gold: Vengence v. Ascent

MinnesotaHunter

So, yesterday I found my new "backup" bow, a 2013 Elite Answer in Max-1. I got it off Archerytalk for $450, just couldn't pass it up. So now I am looking at options for setting it up. I know I am going with a Ripcord, Tightspot, and Black Gold. Not only because they support Randy, but also I have the same stuff on my Carbon Matrix, and had it on my old Bowtech my younger brother is now shooting. I will am also planning on shooting the identical arrow as I shoot from my Hoyt, Victory VAP Pros, tipped with slick tricks. My intention is to favor this new bow a little more for hunting out west, so it might be my primary bow hunting in WY this fall and my Hoyt will continue to be my go to bow for sitting in a treestand.

What I am hoping you guys can help me with is my decisions on ordering my custom Block Gold. The sight on my Carbon Matrix is a custom Ascent with a 3 pin Vengence Head. I like this set up alot for around MN and it is better than the HHA single pin I used to use for hunting out west. The only issue I have had is setting up in ambush, or calling, I get a little nervous messing with the wheel. On the other hand I like not having an overly cluttered sight. If I went with the vengence I would need at least a 6 pin to get me out to 70yds. I am also planning on going with the 6 inch dovetail, rather than the fixed base. What are your guys thoughts on sights set up for hunting out west? Do most of you stick to strictly fixed pins?

I am also going to be buying a new stabilizer. I currently am using a 11.5in Carbon Blade. Anyone have any thoughts on these?

Thanks for the input.

I had a carbon blade and didn't care for it. Sold It on Archerytalk and bought a B-Stinger. I like the extra weight out front but it would probably be a little heavy for toting around out west. Mine is 10" 8oz. Could probably pick up a 6-8" at 4-6 oz and still be ok.

I will give you my opinion on the multi-pin question. My current setup (I live in CO) is a 5-pin ascent. yes, its a bit cluttered with 5pins compared to a single pin slider but in both of my bow kills last year there was no way I would have had time to fiddle around with setting yardage for a single pin. To me, the Ascent is the best of both worlds cause you can quickly determine range, aim, shoot - but also have a floating pin if you want to stretch the yardage for a calculated long shot or follow-up.

When I hunted only deer in the midwest, I used a single or 3-pin for many years cause my shot distances just didn't vary that much. So much different than spot and stalk or the typical western bowhunt.

I should add that if you do go the multipin route, get the small diameter pins for at least the last 1/2. Also, my last pin is set for 60yd, but I shoot enough to know the holdover for 70, so in practice I can confidently shoot well out to 70 w/out going to the wheel.

Last edited:
I will give you my opinion on the multi-pin question. My current setup (I live in CO) is a 5-pin ascent. yes, its a bit cluttered with 5pins compared to a single pin slider but in both of my bow kills last year there was no way I would have had time to fiddle around with setting yardage for a single pin. To me, the Ascent is the best of both worlds cause you can quickly determine range, aim, shoot - but also have a floating pin if you want to stretch the yardage for a calculated long shot or follow-up.

When I hunted only deer in the midwest, I used a single or 3-pin for many years cause my shot distances just didn't vary that much. So much different than spot and stalk or the typical western bowhunt.

I should add that if you do go the multipin route, get the small diameter pins for at least the last 1/2. Also, my last pin is set for 60yd, but I shoot enough to know the holdover for 70, so in practice I can confidently shoot well out to 70 w/out going to the wheel.

I appreciate the input, Scott.

My current Ascent has .19s for my 20 and 30 pins, and my 40/floater is a .10 in red, which seems to have less "flash" for a more precise aimpoint.

It really comes down to, "do you want to mess with a dial or not." Will the dial extend your effective range beyond what fixed pins do. Do you shoot past 60yrds, ranges where a dial really helps. Do you think you will have time to properly use the dial in the field, how much time are you going to dedicate to mastering this option and dialing it in. I've used a 7 deadly pin for years and really like it but on the new rig I put a spott Hogg tommy Hogg for a dial. The dial is fun to push my limits on targets but I still like the simplistic fixed pins for hunting, less variables.

For stabilizers I think b stingers are great. New rig wears a 10" pro with a 6" extreme on a quick disconnect. You would have to play with weights but 8oz is standard starting point.

I always rock a primos bow sling while hunting, so much easier to lug a rig all day.

Thanks for the input guys. After much debate and some time at the range yesterday, I came to a decision. My new bow came Friday, and I dropped it off yesterday to get the draw length adjusted to 29.5 and to order the Tightspot and Black Gold. By the way for you military guys and gals out there, Tightspot/Black Gold/Ripcord offer a military discount through their dealers, just one more reason to support these great products.

So for the sight I decided I still wanted the ascent wqith the 6" dovetail as I wasn't ready to give up the wheel, but split the difference and added a 4th pin to the vengence head to get me out to 50 with fixed pins. For my top 2 pins I did .19, and the bottom 2 I did .10. I went with red for my bottom 50yd/floater to keep the flash down. In reality it will be unlikely that I need the wheel very often, but practicing at 80 yds, make those 60 yd shots pretty easy.

Here is the blank canvas. I will post the finished product in a couple of weeks.
Elite.jpg

Cool, I think that setup sounds like it will suit you well. Good luck with the final setup and next fall hunting!

Thanks for the input guys. After much debate and some time at the range yesterday, I came to a decision. My new bow came Friday, and I dropped it off yesterday to get the draw length adjusted to 29.5 and to order the Tightspot and Black Gold. By the way for you military guys and gals out there, Tightspot/Black Gold/Ripcord offer a military discount through their dealers, just one more reason to support these great products.

Here are links to those three great American companies. Hope will take a look and see the great archery products they have.

Black Gold ------> http://www.blackgoldsights.com/

Ripcord ------> http://www.ripcordarrowrest.com/

Tightspot -----> http://www.tightspotquiver.com/

I shoot the 3-pin Ascent, but I might end up with the new Ascent Ambush.

Fin,

I talked to Ben over there last week about some options for my sight, and mentioned I appreciate their support to "Fresh Tracks" and the MN Expat who hosts it.

Thank you. When they hear that stuff, get emails, or even traffic from our site to theirs, it is a big deal to them. Greatly appreciated.

I got in all of the parts I ordered for my new Elite. Everything is tuned up, and I have been working on getting it dialed in this weekend. First, the Elite is an awesome bow, super smooth and quiet. I actually had the shop double check the draw weight, because it felt quite a bit less than my Hoyt that pulls about 74lbs, but when they checked it was pulling 73.8. I was impressed. The setup is shooting great, I really like the 6in dovetail on the sight which gives me a nice long sight radius. I had some leftover CE Bluestreaks lying around, so I am going to shoot these through turkey season, and will switch over to VAPs for fall.

Here is the finished product.

photo3.jpg
photo1.jpg
photo2.jpg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back