Bivy vs. Ultralight Tent?

npaden

Okay, I've procrastinated too long and really need to buy some gear for my upcoming New Mexico elk hunt. This will be my first solo backpack hunt and I need to decide on whether I'm going to bivy or go all out with a nice ultralight tent.

Probably only going to be 4 or 5 miles back, but don't want to waste 3 or 4 hours each day hiking in and out in the dark. Also, where I will be hunting isn't supposed to be a great place for roadside camping so I just decided to go ahead and backpack in.

Been watching Camofire, SteepandCheap, Backcountry, etc. and haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet except an inflatable sleeping pad (on sale right now on camofire).

Leaning toward a 2 person ultralight tent that would weigh in around 4lbs. The marmot Aura is on sale on backcountry right now 40% off.

http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-aura-2-person-3-season-tent

Leaning toward backcountry's store brand down 15 degree bag also on sale right now at 40% off.

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-somnus-sz-15-sleeping-bag-15-degree-down

Probably going to pickup a Primus Express stove off Camofire and going to go with the Sawyer water filter setup, although it's going to be iffy on below freezing temperatures when I'll be hunting in late October, I'm not sure on that right now.

Back to the question. I'm thinking I will be packing in expecting to stay 3 or 4 days, I think a bivy would get old and cramped pretty quick. For the extra 2lbs I think the tent is a no brainer.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks, Nathan

I have been looking as well. A buddy of mine recommended a Jungle Hammock... I think that's what it's called. He swears by them,, they are light and you don't need a pad, just two hardy trees. Obviously only good for one person though.

I'm a tarp guy. Plenty of room, no condensation, cheap(about $50 for my current set up) and right around a pound for the entire package. That said, bugs are a big problem in early season hunts. This year I bought a Big Agnes UL 1 man tent. Just 2lbs 3 oz.

Current set up:

JB0A2850.jpg

PS

I've spent one too many nights in a bivy sack. They're OK for short fair weather trips, but I can't imagine ever using one again. Waaaaay too claustrophobic, and not practical for most applications. Great for quick weekends on the hill.

I vote for ultralight tent. Although I've done the bivy thing, it would have been miserable if I had a day of rain.

I spent a week at 10,000 feet in this OR Alpine Bivy. Weighs 2 pounds:

Camp.jpg

From last weekend. The Shangri La is mine. Weighs about 40 oz, I believe (no nest). Nice to have all the space for gear, etc.

SJ103_zpsb4018c35.jpg

I too have done the bivy thing but I much prefer a light tent to get out of the elements. No problems staying warm in either one but when it rains, I want my tent.

Sleeping bag, tarp, ground cloth(emergency blanket), cordage, 8 aluminum stakes, with a jalepeño on top(no cherry available on short notice). 3.864 pounds.

3887C340-BE6C-4A06-8B9F-A67F833D75D5-2626-0000026694A7D8E7.jpg

Last edited:
Some nice setups.

Another vote for tent. I rolled up in Tyvec once when planning on sleeping under the stars and rain came in. Not very fun but kept me dry. Usually have the tent but on that trip went real light. So was my sleep. Never considered a bivy since.

Nathan, That bag looks good btw. 15 deg down is a great balance and could be used on most any hunt while being light.

Here's an Integral Designs Gore-Tex Solo bivy-tent. Wind sounded like a freight train all night long but I was snug as a bug.

I'm packed to leave tomorrow and I'll be trying out a bibler bivy. I have a collection of tents. I'm a tent whore....I've slept with them all and have loved them all.

Attachments

• NZ 2011 037-20%.jpg
    NZ 2011 037-20%.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 2,805
Been looking into tents a bunch lately as well. I'd love to go the tarp route but full coverage seems to make a significant sleep temperature difference, and I hate bugs. This summer I've been trying 2 new options other than my BA 4lb tent to lighten up. One is a Golite SL1 with a Six Moon Designs Meteor Bivy, which is a real good set-up, however I find I roll around too much for the bivy and end up tangled up. The other I've been trying is a Hilleberg Rajd. Its a single-walled tent more than big enough for 2, living like a king by yourself. It weighs in at 35 oz. I have been hesitant with it afraid of condensation, but it has proven to vent impressively well and condensation hasn't been an issue. I'm pretty well sold on it. At this point I find it's biggest drawback to be it takes a pretty large footprint considering all the guylines but its been worth it so far. I plan do use one this fall and see how it does.

Other than that I still want to get my hands on a few Tarptents, the Notch and Stratospire 1 and 2. I'm intrigued by them. Also Hilleberg's Akto, Anjan 2 and Nallo 2 would be good options being you can pitch them with just the fly or inner tent when its nice, or have a bombproof 4 season shelter when you need it. Teepee's still interest me, but it seems like they leave wasted material and space, but might still be a good option. Look at Golite, Seek Outside, or TiGoat.

1 night don't matter, 2 or more I need a tent because bivys don't fit me to well and I side sleep a lot.

I vote tent.
Also, my15 degree bag weighs 3 lbs. and is not down. I like how the bag you are looking at weighs only a little over 2 lbs.

Mountain Smith Mountain Shelter weighs less than 2# ,Kifaru Super Tarp 20 oz.both have lots of room for one guy and will work for Two

Mountain Smith Mountain Shelter weighs less than 2# ,Kifaru Super Tarp 20 oz.both have lots of room for one guy and will work for Two

I'm running the mountainsmith shelter. Its a great setup, and easy to pitch with trekking poles or sticks. I've only gone with sticks as they are easy to find where I'm hunting.

Go tent. Make sure you get the one that is all but screen when the fly is off. Believe me when bees, Scorpions, spiders and rattle snakes try to join in you will be thankful.

I agree in that a tent just gives you a bit more room and space and this is noticeable when inclement weather is around. In dry conditions a sleeping bag on a pad will work in most situations, but as has been said the bugs might be annoying. Some good set ups and information here.

I vote tent as well. I've never really done a bivy, but have slept without a tent. If it's been cold enough to get rid of the skeeters, that's not a problem for me. However, the times when they haven't been killed made for a quite sleepless night...

Thanks for all the great information and advice.

I need to pick something up pretty soon so I can do a test run loading it all onto my back and pitching it a few times.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jon_G
Back