bino/spotting scope tripod suggestions?

maustin

I'm looking to get some type of tripod for my binoculars (and eventually down the road for a spotting scope) to use on my hunts, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I bought a Gitzo and really like it. It is compact, light, and allows me to glass while sitting or standing. Gitzo's are not cheap, but with the glut of semi-professional photographers, and amateur tattoo artists, you can find used (but not used) Gitzo's for reasonable prices.

Got a certain budget? Just like most gear, you can get anything from super cheap to thousands of dollars.

You'll want to decide carbon fiber or aluminum. Carbon fiber is light and awesome, but way pricier than aluminum.

If you are going to do a lot of panning and gridding hillsides, you might want to think of getting a pan head vs. a ball head.

Gitzo's are sweet, but on a budget you can buy Gitzo knockoffs (Benro) that are pretty good for the price.

Have always been a fan of Manfrotto too, which has a pretty wide range of price options.

Last edited:
I think Outdoorsmans are the best for hunters. I also think tripods like a Slik 634 CF or Gitzo and Manfrotto are high quality tripod. It all depends on how important steady glass is to you.

I think Slik gives the most bang for the buck. I have 2 of their tripods that have served me well over the past 16 years. I suggest you get a tripod with enough range to use sitting and standing, with a fluid head and heavy enough to stay steady in the wind.

I bought a Vanguard something or another for around $80 and for use with binos, it worked perfectly. We used it with our spotting scope and it was a little more finicky to get set up, so that's probably where the extra dollars spent make sense.

Yeah this is more of a budget question. Lay your budget out and you'll get good suggestions for what you give us.

I roll with the Outdoorsmans but it's expensive. I'm setup to mount my binos and spotter on the tripod

Backpack hunts or not? I like the slick mini 2 for back pack hunts.

Vortex SS-P and now they are getting into the carbon game too. Great value for what you get.

Thanks for the info! As for budget, I really would like to keep it under $500, if at all possible. Just want something with good quality and to be some what versatile.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back