Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Big ol Burban?

I don't know. I would think that all the time and effort spent cleaning and replacing the bearings, possibly chain and gears, you will be ahead by using it for a core replacement and getting a different one.

I don't know. I would think that all the time and effort spent cleaning and replacing the bearings, possibly chain and gears, you will be ahead by using it for a core replacement and getting a different one.
A master rebuild is about half IF it comes clean. Napa has a hot parts wash I can run it thru as well. I will give it a few days and see what happens.

The original trans was burnt and this transfer case is gross. I can wait to see what I find in the axles! I am pretty surprised how bad it is with just over 100k on it.

It’s the $695 and $195 shipping that is killing the deal. All the local ones are $1200 plus. I am supposed to be paying for my Disney bill. Soaking it is significantly cheaper to try first.
Peace of mind though. Unless you can get that one spotless and rebuilt. mtmuley

Spent the day disassembling and cleaning. The soak in the parts cleaner didn’t do much at all. I made up a boiling water and dawn dish soap bath for it. With scraper in hand I went to work. That got it to a 85% product and then it went back into the parts cleaner for a couple hours.

It still had a bit of junk in the nooks and crannies. Some purple power degreaser and 3500 psi of water pressure got it almost done.

Then a hot water wash and steam in the dishwasher to finish it. Although it has some staining it is finally clean. It passed the dental pick scrape test. I may take some emery cloth and mineral spirits to it to touch up the stains.

Now to the rebuilding process.

IMG_2897.jpegIMG_2901.jpeg

Last edited:
Spent the day disassembling and cleaning. The soak in the parts cleaner did do much at all. I made up a boiling water and dawn dish soap bath for it. With scraper in hand I went to work. That got it to a 85% product and then it went back into the parts cleaner for a couple hours.

It still had a bit of junk in the nooks and crannies. Some purple power degreaser and 3500 psi of water pressure got it almost done.

Then a hot water wash and steam in the dishwasher to finish it. Although it has some staining it is finally clean. It past the dental pick scrape test. I may take some emery cloth and mineral spirits to it to touch up the stains.

Now to the rebuilding process.

View attachment 324500View attachment 324501
You've got more patience than me. Also my 5 year old saw the square body suburban on the first page and is now obsessed.

This kind of stuff is cool to me because I have no clue about any of it.
Some of it is frustrating too.

I finished up my parts list to rebuild it. It came to $279 with shipping. It’s worth it except for one small issue.

The clutch pack in it has to have a special tool to set the preload. The tool is very expensive and even a used one is almost $500 on eBay without shipping.

So unless I can find a local shop with the tool to do it, I might as well order the reman.

Any parts store that would have one to rent, or too specialized of a tool?
Too specialized unfortunately. It’s pretty basic design and if I had a lathe and mill I could make it. Paul could make it but with his time and materials it would still cost more than the total of the reman.

Too specialized unfortunately. It’s pretty basic design and if I had a lathe and mill I could make it. Paul could make it but with his time and materials it would still cost more than the total of the reman.
Reman = plug and play. mtmuley

Some of it is frustrating too.

I finished up my parts list to rebuild it. It came to $279 with shipping. It’s worth it except for one small issue.

The clutch pack in it has to have a special tool to set the preload. The tool is very expensive and even a used one is almost $500 on eBay without shipping.

So unless I can find a local shop with the tool to do it, I might as well order the reman.
Couldn’t you buy it and sell it afterwards. It seems like it would be an easy sell or even figure out a way to rent it out.

Couldn’t you buy it and sell it afterwards. It seems like it would be an easy sell or even figure out a way to rent it out.
Sometimes it really pays to just get the part. Addicting might have a ton of time, but you have to factor that in to what you are doing. mtmuley

It’s almost an obsolete tool, seeing it’s for a 20 year old transfer case. Unless you’re doing a bunch of rebuilding it’s not worth owning. There are a bunch on eBay in that same price range. Reselling it would be tough as there are a bunch to choose from. Renting it out would be more of a headache than it’s worth. Trusting a stranger to not drop it and ding the machined surface is a lot of trust. Deposits to replace or repair it is a PIA unless you’re already a retailer handling money on cards.

Sometimes it really pays to just get the part. Addicting might have a ton of time, but you have to factor that in to what you are doing. mtmuley

You may be right, it all depends on if any of the local transmission shops have it.

Following along - way cool! I remember doing an elk hunt when I was 14. I slept in the back of my uncle's yukon. Was a great time. I'm not mechanical in any way, but this is awesome. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

On this episode of As the Burban Turns….

I found a low mileage one on FB marketplace mostly ready to install and run if I trust the guy. 🤔

It came out of Wisconsin salt salvage yard. It shows its age from not being washed off and sitting on a shelf although it claims to have low miles. Actual mile are unknown but the insides are clean and appear to back up the claim.

After leaving the sale the Dealership calls me and says they found that tool upstairs in storage. If I want to borrow it I can. Sumbitch, super nice of them but my timing is horrible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back