Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Big Belt Grizzlies

RaghornHS

Myself and two buddies will be elk hunting the Big Belts and I saw a recent news story from White Sulphur that talked about a young grizzly caught on FWP trail cams somewhere in the Big Belts (I believe northern half).

Have any of you who have hunted the area ever run into them? I'm not terribly concerned about them - I typically have bear spray and keep a clean camp anyway, but more knowledge is always better in my opinion!

I think anymore, as a general rule, it's safe to assume there MAY be a grizzly around if you're hunting anywhere in western MT. It's unlikely you're going to see one or have problems with one. However, they've been found in most mountain ranges in the last 10 years.

That's what was interesting about the news story. The biologist - who I reached out to for some elk info prior to seeing the bear story - said he was surprised it had taken so long for one to be spotted in the Big Belts.

I've hunted in grizzly country in Alaska and that was a bit unnerving at times because of the numbers, but I'm not sweating this too much in Montana. Was really just curious if anyone had any more info.

My brother ran into a big humpbacked grizz, 3 different times, in our spot in the Little Belts opening weekend. We had one in the same area back in '12.

I wouldn't worry about it...a clean camp and bear spray will do the job.

Hahaaaa.

Tell that to the gentleman mauled last night in MT after his partner sprayed the bear repeatedly.
Just south of you it happens every year now and it will happen again this month.

That is the second sighting in the Belts also.

Be safe out there.

As they say, you just have to run faster than your hunting buddies.

In all seriousness, be safe and have a great hunt.

I heard about the latest mauling yesterday. Frightening stuff indeed. We'll keep our heads on a swivel and hopefully won't even see one...at least not up close and personal!

Sage advice!

I've spoken with the biologist in the area and his advice was to "assume there are a few around". I don't imagine the numbers are anywhere near what they are is SW Montana, but we'll still prepare accordingly!

grew up in the cascade area hunting in district 445 big belt mountains and my friend who is a ranch owner got his first grizzly on trail cam this year. they might be moving in there due to the increasing population and plus fires push animals around as well. good luck. public ground gets hunted hard .

I was there last year, bear sign all over the little belts. Didn't see much for elk, but I didn't make the right adjustments quick enough and ran out of time.

No doubt grizz in there. We hunt Tom Miner also and have seen more grizz than I'd like, so we know the difference.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back