Best Odds for OTC Tags

I assume you are asking about non resident bull tags. idaho has tags avaialble now. Colorado has OTC available later in the year. you can usually get leftover elk tags in Montana.

Last edited:
Idaho can be a great option and most cost friendly. About $600 total. Plenty of solid Bulls to hunt there. Montana costs more but has longer seasons. About $850 for an elk combo and $1000 for a deer and elk nonresident combo

FInding a non-res OTC bull tag means, MT, ID and CO.

Each has their advantages and disadvantages. Lots of reading out there comparing the three. If it was my money, I'd pay a little more and go to Montana.

MT then ID I'd bet.

I think ID and CO are the only ones that you can literally buy the tag over the counter. Without having to hope for leftovers or put in for a "general" draw tag.

Montana for quality,colorado for quantity.Never hunted Idaho so I cant help there

Idaho if you are an archer.

There are many zones that you can pick up an OTC archery tag and hunt during the rut that rifle hunters have to draw a tag to hunt.

These are limited quota/entry hunts that can be had on the OTC.

Montana/Colorado archery is another solid option.

For Rifle - Montana is probably the best bet of the 3. The issue with Montana is the elk moving into the valley onto private ground, but there are good bulls to be had.

Idaho is a good option if you avoid the deer hunt. There are a bunch of people out for the rifle deer hunt, but there are good options with migratory elk and resident elk.

Colorado has more elk and odds of harvesting an elk especially in the areas that allow you the option to take a cow with your tag are good.

Utah also has OTC elk opportunities, but it is a hunt that is normally not mentioned for a reason. Lots of tags and low success.

I believe Oregon and Washington also have OTC elk opportunities for Roosey's.

Wyoming isn't OTC, but it is a high success hunt on the general tag which takes a few short years to draw.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back